File too big + could be offensive.
0 (0%)
Nice skin, but not for me.
0 (0%)
Nice skin, I would download it anytime.
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 19, 2005, 02:45:23 AM

Author Topic: My first skin - Your opinion  (Read 13545 times)

Newton

My first skin - Your opinion
« on: May 20, 2005, 02:45:23 AM »
A couple of months ago, I finished my first Avast skin. After hesitating, I decided to e-mail Vlk to see what he thinks. While he's still evaluating this right now, I thought I would also share about it here to get a pulse from you, users.

Some facts - I wanted to create something that would push further the current possibilities offered by the Avast interface. So instead of having a static background with changes in the buttons only, I opted for more interaction. All images were created from scratch with a 3D software. Basically there are two black monoliths and a superheroin female model. Why? Because my goal was to get a more "human feel" interface.

Controversial aspect #1 : Once installed, the file size is almost 17 megabytes. The download file, though, is only 2 Mb. Many users may find it’s too large, a resource hog, etc. I compared it with other skins, and tested it on my old 400 MHz PC and there is only an additional 2,5 seconds delay only on opening and in the skins selection window. This delay may very well reduce to zero on machines running at 1 MHz or more. ???

Controversial aspect #2 : The use of a superheroin wearing a sexy metallic suit may be seen as offensive by some. Personally, I don’t think it is, because it’s a character out of total fiction. I would say it’s not more graphic than movies like Catwoman or X-Men II, rated 13+.

This first pic here show the skin in real size when one of the many full-size images appears on mouseovers or clicks. The second one shows the skin at idle, when there are no mouseover.

So for now, don’t ask me to change this or that in the skin, simply vote in the poll or tell me if you like it or not, if you would download/use it or not, and why. 8)

Conclusion - Note that regardless of what we will discuss here on this thread, I’ll fully accept the Avast team’s final decision. So if they think it is not acceptable, I’ll fully respect their final word and it will remain unique on my own PC. The last thing I want to do is create something that would give them problems, for example too many complaints from users because it slows down the software a little, etc.

Time to vote! 8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:34:42 PM by Newton »

Newton

Re: My first skin - Your opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 03:09:16 AM »
Note that there are more than 15 full-size images than are triggered by the mouse over any of the Avast interface buttons and when entering certain windows.

I'll post more images later if I see there is some interest... Which I doubt... Hahahahaha... ;D

MFB

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 04:10:53 AM »
I must say it's very colorful.  (The frog is awesome)  ;D

darkparrot

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 04:13:41 AM »
You skin lacks consistency. A woman in a red suit and a polar bear in the background (what is this about)?

Its hard to tell what the woman is sitting on, I know its a screen of some sort, but there should be lines or shading indicating the edges and such. The file size is overly large, 17MB would kill any possible dial-up users.

Overall you had some neat ideas but your ideas need to be more refined.

NOTE: Tried to be as constructive as possible, please dont take my comments as hostile.

*dons flame suit*

Newton

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 04:50:47 AM »
Hmmm...  ???

I guess my text above was too long and people didn't read it because of that. So I shorten it, place the important in bold and changed the images as well. ;D

So thanks for your comment about the quality of the frog, but it's not me who did it, as it has nothing to do with the Avast skin. :P

I hope the new pics clarify.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:36:26 PM by Newton »

inconnu

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 07:13:50 AM »
Very creative work.  Main point first:  I'm very used to the "Lite On" Skin, and rarely use any other.  However, I like to try others out, and would download and try this one.

Controversial aspect #1.  The small extra loading time (if present on my system) would not deter me from using a skin.  As long as it works correctly!

Controversial aspect #2.  Doesn't bother me -- though my taste runs more to Art Nouveau ;) .

I agree some shading on the lower monolith in particular could enhance it.

The use of images triggered by mouseovers is particularly interesting.  Definitely worth pursuing. Thanks for sharing this.

Newton

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »
Inconnu,

Thanks to take time to read my text. Your response show that you understand the context.

There is already shading, but I choose it very dark. It shows better when installed. I think the shades were lost in the first pic because I of the compressed JPG and as I added all the yellow text.

I changed the pictures so to see better. ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:36:57 PM by Newton »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
Newton, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to try this skin. I'm happy when I see people with some new and fresh ideas...

Yes, download size is much smaller than when skin is extracted into avast! skin folder, but still, I know that some people will coplain about that one... you remember when I released Pirate skin ? Compressed size was around 890 Kb and when extracted, it's around 1.9 Mb... still, some people found those sizes too much, and they complained.

I'm telling you this just as a constructive comment, nothing else, but I'm 100% sure you already know what I mean because we spoke earlier about this issue...

I know how difficult it can be when you spend so much time doing some extensive work like you did on this skin, and then many people just give their opinions and suggestions on how they would change this or that... so, I won't tell you anything except maybe this (since you already asked for our opinions)... if I was working on that skin, I would maybe add a little bit more black-grey shades to the main panel area (black monoliths, and that would give them even more monolith-look) and maybe smooth those edges a little bit (around monoliths). Why ? I understand you wanted to make something extremely black/dark, and that's really great (we already have a lot of "light" looking skins in download section, and that's why my latest two skins are kinda dark)... but I'm telling you this just because your 3D objects, like for example that lady in red, are kinda too 3D in comparing to main panel... main panel is just too plain black, so to say... If I was you, I would make that something like this:

...otherwise, I really look forward to see your skin installed and working...

Keep up the good work Newton !
Regards !
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:21:26 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

neal62

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 07:02:20 PM »
Newton, Very impressive. You obviously put a lot of hard work into this. Once you can show the skin without the background objects from your desktop I think that will help us alot to be able to see the whole contex. Different choices for the users I am sure are always welcome. Keep up your fine efforts and who knows? Have a nice day.

Newton

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 07:40:45 PM »
Thanks to all for their constructive input.

Sasha, interesting alternative background. Too bad I don't have the options and optional things on my 3D software to get such a reflective material.

I wanted to respect the context of Kubrick's movie (where the monoliths are so dark you can hardly tell the shades), but I guess in the case of a skin it is seen as a problem.

I'll see what I can do.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 09:32:29 PM »
Newton my friend... you don't need any extra options in your 3D software. I didn't use any of those 3D effects... I just made 2 poligons with different sided shade, little bit of bloor, little bit of additional smoothing and that's it...

You are free to use that version of monoliths, of course if you like it... you don't have to draw everything from the scratch... don't worry, skin is completely your masterpiece, I just tried to help you with adding some shading to the main panel... anyway, it's just a suggestion, nothing else... of course, it's up to you how everything will look like at the end. I'm just so happy to see that someone else is also doing something regarding avast! skins.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

kamulko

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 12:44:23 AM »
Dear Newton, I don't want to be judge of your work in progress. I want say to you: "Continue!". I'm impressed by the symbolism of your skin. Not only concerning the monolith... the woman in red... the eternal power of the female part of the world associated to the proper function of a protective software. Expecially the color red of the figure. Oh, I'm sad 'cause I don't find the words in english. But you love the cats (me the same) and I think you surely may have the intuition to feel what I wish to say about your hard work. Unfortunately I don't understand how to build the skins (even if I read the tutorial) so I've no right to evaluate or criticize technically. My point of view is merely artistic. I wait for the future development of your ideas. Compliments... and many thanks for the beautiful pics of the sweety cats!  ;D

kamulko

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 12:49:53 AM »
Sasha, I appreciate very much your great aid to Newton: he have the courage and the passion to post his work. I'm sure you can greatly help this new artist. Is a rare thing to find persons like you: not gelous of their knowledge, always ready to share the experience of years and years of work.  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 01:03:37 AM »
Thanks Kamulko... jalousy ? There shouldn't be jealousy in art. Art is free and everybody is welcome to participate. I already told Newton, I really like his work and I'm really glad to see that someone else is doing something regarding designing of skins for avast!

We all are friends and we all should behave like that, right ? There is no room for competition and for jealousy here. Those things are not quite best attributes one can have... if you spend too much time being jealous at someone else's work, you are just losing your precious time, and for that time, you could have made another great artwork instead ot blabbing around...

As I said before... if Newton need some directions or something, he is always free to contact me... if you remember, same thing was with RejZoR's MacLover skin... he almost gave up on that skins, and I offered him to fix those things inside skin where he stuck... see here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=5824.0

and here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7475.msg60004#msg60004

I fixed few thingies, sent him skin, and soon skin was released in avast! download section... that's how friends suppose to act, right ? When I needed some help with some web space, he generously offered his help, and of course I accepted...

Cheers !

Newton

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 01:16:06 AM »
Kamulko,

On the contrary, I really want you to at least vote on the poll. ;) I accept any opinion, for the good or for the bad, as long as it's constructive. I perfectly accept the opinions already given and I know nobody can satisfy everyone. That's okay with me. ;D

I am touched to see you really seem to understand my concept, as you refer to the power of the female beauty. That's why I chose to create that fiction character. The skins offers several other pics of the model to give a human feel to my concept, like she is your companion. Always with respect, even in some sexy poses I thought would be great to present the interface functions. Even though some may find it controversial.

Thanks to share your thoughts. ;D

--------------------------------------------

Sasha,

I like to hear your way of thinking about art and creation. ;) From here, I'll see what I can do to improve the black shades. Unfortunately, I don't have any fancy picture editing software like PhotoShop or PaintShop. Only two basic ones, including MS Paint. I actually did all the transparencies and the cutting almost pixel by pixel. Crazy long work! ;D

I'll instead try to generate new pics with different black tones for the monoliths in my 3D thing. Hopefully, I won't have to touch anything else. I can't move any button now, because certain "windows" have to fit exactly on top of them. Otherwise, I would have to start again from scratch and it would mean several hundreds hours more! 8)