File too big + could be offensive.
0 (0%)
Nice skin, but not for me.
0 (0%)
Nice skin, I would download it anytime.
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 19, 2005, 02:45:23 AM

Author Topic: My first skin - Your opinion  (Read 13549 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: My first skin - Your opinion
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 01:28:30 AM »
I personally think it looks good the way it looks now Newton... it's just you asked us for our constructive comments or any kind of opinions, so I thought you may wanna hear what I think about that main area ("black panel"). Even if you leave it the way it is, this skin will bring something new, something original and fresh. As you already mentioned, you can not please everybody, I know that very well my friend... worst of all, some poeple always find something to complain about and they like to be designers after whole project is already finished... sometimes it's just impossible to please verybody, no matter how hard we try... and that's the hardest part. Just take a look in that thread (Silhouette_4in1) where I was "bombed" from every side with suggestions and ideas... I listened every and each one of them... Few big ideas guys from these forums gave me, and I listened to their requests and turned those ideas into reality... even though, some of them were almost impossible to realize... I did it, just because I didn't want to give up and disappoint them... but sometimes, it's just impossible, and we are not Supermens...  :-\
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Newton

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
Very true, Sasha. 8)

I know, about your 4in1 skin, I simply could not believe your incredible patience, and I had to tell you in that thread, as a "defender" of your concept. ;)

kamulko

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 01:35:47 AM »
Newton, I suggest PhotoFiltre: is a freeware program with many plugins. Is really friendly to use. Is available in several languages. The author is a French guy.

www.photofiltre.com

Newton

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 01:38:00 AM »
Thanks a lot again, Kamulko. I'll certainly give it a try.

What's even better, my original language is french, as I'm located in the french province of Canada. ;)

kamulko

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 01:41:30 AM »
Tres bien! J'adore le francais! Les Canadiens ont la chance de parler aussi l'anglais. C'est une bonheur pour vous.  ;D

Newton

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 01:44:17 AM »
Cool ! 8)

Désolé, je ne connais pas beaucoup l'italien, sauf "Ciao!". ;D

inconnu

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »
The shading does show up better in your second set of images!  Enough to suggest the three-dimensional nature of the monoliths, and at the same time to convey the total, light-absorbing blackness of them. But in any case, the most important thing is for you to translate your vision of what it should be into pixels on the screen! I'm looking forward to trying this skin out!  Very original concept.  And I like Kamulko!'s comments about the feminine.  There's a powerful mythic element involved there.

You may also want to try the Gimp (free, open-source software from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ ).  It's a very powerful image-manipulation program -- but maybe not quite as friendly to use at first as PhotoFiltre.  I use both.

Just wanted to add:  In my opinion, don't worry about the size.  Like Sasha said, you can't please everybody.  That's why there are different skins (or as my father used to say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla):  some for people who want a small, minimalist skin, others for people who want something more complex.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 12:55:46 PM by inconnu »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
The shading does show up better in your second set of images!  Enough to suggest the three-dimensional nature of the monoliths, and at the same time to convey the total, light-absorbing blackness of them...

You meant on this one, right ?

Yes, I didn't want to go all the way with "silver" shades... I still kept oily black feeling of those monoliths... that's what Newton wanted to keep in the first place I believe... but this way, monoliths much better blends with 3D beauty in red... It's up to him is he going to use that idea in his skin, or he rather wants to make something from the scratch. I just tried to help somehow if possible... Anyway, I'm really glad to see someone else is also doing something regarding skins...

Cheers people !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Newton

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 10:07:16 PM »
Okay, this is what I came up with today.

The first pic try to explain why we can't see any edge on the upper monolith. It's simply because with the camera lens type and subjective position, its edges are all hidden because I wanted it to be right in front of your eyes panorama (see the lines of its sides : they go farther from you) . So the sides of the upper monolith exist, but they are invisible from this view (kind of complicated explanations for just a skin... hahahahaha ;D).

The second pic shows the new one with more reflection and less dark (on the right) in comparison with the old (left). Try to ignore the aliasing or "broken lines" in the contours.

Do you think it's still too dark?
Or do you think it's enough clear to understand the shapes better?

Don't get me wrong here : Again, I can't thank enough Sasha for taking the time to help me by creating his generous image of explanation. :) But I'll have no choice but to try something out of my own program in order to fix my own problem.

Thanks to all who will take time to tell if they like this one better or not. 8)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:55:22 AM by Newton »

kamulko

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 02:04:54 AM »
Newton, in my opinion 1-the second picture is a little better but the 3D effect is more visible inthe "base" than in the monolith. 2- Can you evaluate a long-red-haired woman instead of the short-haired? 3- Is it possible (very relevant point, I know) to give more 3D effect to the avast blueball?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 02:07:27 AM by Kamulko! »

kamulko

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 02:10:52 AM »
ADDED: 4- Can you think to something like a "luminous edge" surrounding the figure of the woman?

Newton

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 02:30:13 AM »
Kamulko,

1 - That's good. I'll try to exaggerate it a little more to see.

2 - It's certainly possible, but then I would have to start from scratch all over. Maybe in another skin. ;) Actually, what I hesitated the most about the superheroine for a long while was the color of her costume... violet was my other option.

3 - The Avast blue ball is already the best I can. It initially looked a little too mat. So I increased the contrast a little, so it looks more "twinkling". Note that on this particular pose, I also enhanced the eyes of the model, as she's fascinated by the ball... Maybe like a crystal ball :P. It's hard to tell, but I know the ball and the eyes are what's the most "twinkling" compared to the rest of the pic. ;D

4 - It's another thing possible, but it would need me to start all over from scratch. ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 02:53:26 AM by Newton »

kamulko

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 02:45:07 AM »
About the color of the costume... yes... I had also this impression but I've imaginated that this was an important particular for your vision of the symbolism of the figure. Red=danger=passion=blood=love=hell=evil=force=life... and on and on. Red is the Good and Bad at the same time. Honestly, if I could choose, I would prefer the deep blue or the "electric green" (the black is possible only with the "luminous light" behind/around the woman).

inconnu

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 07:55:38 AM »
This is looking very good, Newton.  I should have been clearer, earlier;  your presentation of your idea against a solid background, along with less jpg compression perhaps, made even the earlier version show up as more three-dimensional.

After re-reading bits of 2001, I think I understand that, in order to remain true to your original concept, shading (or should I say "lighting") of the monoliths has to be kept to the minimum necessary to suggest solidity:
... Even in the brilliant earthlight, it was hard to see the object clearly;  his first impression was of a flat rectangle that might have been cut out of carbon paper;  it seemed to have no thickness at all. ... though he was looking at a solid body, it reflected so little light that he could see it only in silhouette.
 ... beyond the geometrically perfect shape of the thing, there was little to see.  Nowhere were there any marks, or any abatement of its ultimate, ebon blackness.  It was the very crystallization of night ... .
(Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 A Space Odyssey

I'm not familiar with the 3D software you're using;  however, would it be possible and effective to use, in addition to variations of shade (in pure tones of grey), subtle variations of hue, with lighting effects giving a warmer or colder effect?

Kumulko! has suggested some interesting possibilities for future versions.  I'll add one which could be a variation on the luminous outline.  When David Bowman finally "lands" on the "surface" of the large monolith, he finds it's hollow and "full of stars."  Possibly a faint luminous and/or starry surround or background for the figure when she appears on mouseover -- as if the vertical monolith then is filled with stars? 

In any event, I think it's turning out nicely, and look forward to seeing the finished skin.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 08:53:13 AM »
... Even in the brilliant earthlight, it was hard to see the object clearly;  his first impression was of a flat rectangle that might have been cut out of carbon paper;  it seemed to have no thickness at all. ... though he was looking at a solid body, it reflected so little light that he could see it only in silhouette.
 ... beyond the geometrically perfect shape of the thing, there was little to see.  Nowhere were there any marks, or any abatement of its ultimate, ebon blackness.  It was the very crystallization of night ...
(Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 A Space Odyssey)

Hey, that movie was on last night.

What a boring film.  :-\