Author Topic: Avast blocking Kobo Desktop from syncing to server  (Read 3396 times)

adicerni

Avast blocking Kobo Desktop from syncing to server
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
I just installed Avast on my Macbook pro and find that now my Kobo Desktop can't reach the server.  If I turn off Web Shields on Avast I can get through.  Any suggestions for an exception?  I don't know what URL the Kobo Desktop is using to reach it's server.

I also just found that the same problem exists with my Dropbox account. Can't establish connection as long as avast web shield is active.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:57:03 PM by adicerni »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast blocking Kobo Desktop from syncing to server
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
I suppose you have HTTPS scanning on in the webshield. There is generally an issue with
applications, that have hardcoded SSL certificates. You can add the destination server (IP address)
to the exclusion list, but that does not work very well for services using traffic balancing
(big set of IP addresses).

Search the forum here for more info, it was already discussed.

adicerni

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  I did manage to get it to work with a https:// url to the server that Kobo communicates with, however it seems to be working one day and not another.  I had to guess the url because apparently Kobo  customer service doesn't know this information.  I'm assuming a URL will work as well as an IP address?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
however it seems to be working one day and not another.

That's the problem with the load balancing.

I'm assuming a URL will work as well as an IP address?

Well, the problem is, that the exceptions are IP address based (They can not be DNS based,
see previous discussions for details). It is possible to add the address in form of an URL, but
the exception is added as an IP address resolved from that URL. If the IP address changes
later, (eg. due to server load balancing), it will no more match the one in the exceptions list.