Author Topic: GameSpy Arcade Virus?  (Read 18599 times)

The Maxx

GameSpy Arcade Virus?
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:17:35 AM »
I was trying to download the newest Gamespy Arcade and avast! Pro went off saying a virus was in the file.  The url is
http:// launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab\gsda.dll
avast! Pro would not let me download it.  Claimed it was this Win32:Adan-055 [Adw]
So a virus/adware or just a FP?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 06:49:50 AM by The Maxx »

Hopismum

Re: GameSpy Arcade Virus?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 06:41:39 AM »
Please go back and modify your post so that the link is not active..     you can do so by putting a space after http:   

Shouldnt put live links to sites you know set off a virus alert  :)

The Maxx

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:51:55 AM »
Fixed the link.  But it shouldn't really matter tho, if you try to use that link it says page cannot be found or something like that.  Believe you have to go to the true site and click download like to get it to work.

Hopismum

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:34 AM »
When I clicked on it (yes I did)  lol   it set off a virus warning.. just as you got  :) 

thank you for fixing that  :)

a google search for Win32:Adan-055  brought up   the VPS history for Avast.. see attached screenshot...     soooo  Im not an expert but Ild say its a virus  EDIT  scratch that (its late here)  Adware
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:20:34 AM by connie »

MFB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:58:25 AM »
Don't even want to open the link even though avast! will protect me.   :) It's not a virus but an Adware that is trying to enter your pc.  Don't think it's a false positive but the real deal, I suggest not to download what your trying to download.   ;)

Hopismum

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:59:30 AM »
Fixer.. I was feeling brave tonite    :P   (Plus had just finished a complete backup)   lol

it worked before..   but not with the \gsda.dll  on the end  (that part was not active in his link.. only all before it and it set off the alarm)     
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:18:02 AM by connie »

MFB

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:02:09 AM »
Fixer.. I was feeling brave tonite    :P   (Plus had just finished a complete backup)   lol

it worked before..   but not with the dll on the end..     

I feel like a flame broil turkey when it comes to this.   ;D  Either take a stand, or take a hike (I choose option two.)  :)

The Maxx

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »
Don't even want to open the link even though avast! will protect me.   :) It's not a virus but an Adware that is trying to enter your pc.  Don't think it's a false positive but the real deal, I suggest not to download what your trying to download.   ;)

Well thing is GameSpy is a very well know place.  It's the main place people people multi-player games on.  Games such as CounterStrike, Half Life, Halo, NeverWinters Night, etc.  So not sure why theres a nasty in their file you use to play those games.

Hopismum

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 07:05:18 AM »
well if nothing else (besides downright foolish) it proved that my Webshield is working great  ;D    :P     I just reinstalled it today..  Ive not been using it as I had too much trouble with it for abit... but have changed OS's and firewalls and decided to give it a shot

Hopismum

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 07:06:46 AM »

Well thing is GameSpy is a very well know place.  It's the main place people people multi-player games on.  Games such as CounterStrike, Half Life, Halo, NeverWinters Night, etc.  So not sure why theres a nasty in their file you use to play those games.

When you rely on the responsibility of the "people who place these games there"   :)    it can sometimes bite you in the butt.   Be happy Avast caught it  :)

edit:   do a little Googling and you'll find alot of talk about spyware and adware with Gamespy  :)     
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:12:57 AM by connie »

The Maxx

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 07:14:20 AM »
When you rely on the responsibility of the "people who place these games there"   :)    it can sometimes bite you in the butt.   Be happy Avast caught it  :)

Well GameSpy Arcade isn't a game, its the program GameSpy makes that allows you to play the multi-player games on.  I read under their support page that Norton 2005 claims it's a adware and GameSpy says it not true and they hope Norton will update their definitions soon.  So maybe the same for this one.

But I sent GameSpy support a email about it, hopefully they send something back soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:17:48 AM by The Maxx »

The Maxx

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 04:44:31 AM »
Well I haven't heard nothing from GameSpy nor alwil over this yet.  So no idea over GameSpy Arcade.   :-\

Hopismum

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 04:51:46 AM »

MFB

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 05:04:02 AM »
It seems that even popular programs can be a trap full of viruses and adware.   :-\  Now the risk of getting a infected file is greater.  Thanks for the info connie  :)

Hopismum

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 05:09:53 AM »
Fixer I also found an older article about a Gamespy Arcade download at Download.com being infected with  W32/Nimda.gen@MM  (not Adware.. a VIRUS)  The file was served by Gamespy... so Download.com was not responsible for this.  Upon discovery Download.com removed the program at the time.      It just shows this keeps having problems and I really wouldn't want it on my machine.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 05:11:40 AM by connie »