Author Topic: Changing password type for application locking causes whole application to reset  (Read 3820 times)

4V457!

Upon changing the password type for the application locking (which I was using on only two apps - the free version limit) from Avast! PIN to Gesture Password, the application on my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S // GT-I9000) ends up pretty much resetting itself, causing me to be presented with the 'premium version pitch' again and then having to go through various settings again to re-set/re-apply them.

I've contacted support about this and they've advised me to do a "clean un- and reinstall" the app, rather than run the update available on the Google Play Store, yet this problem still occurs for me.

Anyone else out there having this problem?

Dare I ask: Anyone got any experience(s) with the AVG app - which I am now left seriously considering switching to....  :-\ :(

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

well, I have never heard about that issue before. Does it happen only with Gesture Password or with Text Password as well?

Filip

4V457!

Hi,

well, I have never heard about that issue before. Does it happen only with Gesture Password or with Text Password as well?

Filip

Seems to only happen with Gesture Password - changed from Avast! PIN to Text Password and the application has not reset itself upon restarting the phone again, unlike how it does when changing from Avast! PIN to Gesture Password.

4V457!

Have now tried changing from Text Password to Gesture Password, and using a different Gesture Password pattern too, and the application has crashed again.  Getting so used to these crashes now that it's taking me less and less time each time to go through all the relevant settings to 'restore' them again, so if you perhaps want me to try anything else then go for it!

Also, in-case it may perhaps be relevant, I do normally use Android's built-in Gesture Password as my screen lock whilst out and about; although often preferring to turn it off and not use a screen lock whilst at home.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
OK, so what exactly is happening? You choose "Gesture Password", you are presented with password setup screen (9 dots), you draw something, then press OK then it crashes and all settings are lost?

What's your OS version? Do you have any custom ROM installed on your Galaxy S?

Filip

4V457!

I'll select "Gesture Password", it'll present the Gesture Password 'setup' screen, and all will appear fine afterwards.  It is only upon restarting (believe either turning on or off, or even 'hard resetting' (battery pull)) the phone does the application 'reset' itself.  I know this has happened as I prefer to use the greyscale logo, rather than the default orange one, and upon the phone booting the phone up it'll be orange again, then opening the app up presents the afore described situation as described in my OP.

OS is 2.3.3.
I do not have any custom ROM installed on my Galaxy S.