Author Topic: I lost my phone  (Read 3115 times)

lanthrax

I lost my phone
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »
Hello Guys,
I just lost my nexus 4. Its rooted and then the anti theft software was installed. I have my other phone number installed as a friend. I have send sms commands to the phone i.e lost,get log 10, and locate.

Will these commands work if i deactivate my simcard and try to reissue my simcard and number from my service provider.

I unable to mark my phone as lost on my online console. any suggestions?.. Please let me know soon. I need to get my number active as soon as possible atleast

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: I lost my phone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
Hello,

>Will these commands work if i deactivate my simcard and try to reissue my simcard and number from my service provider.
no, if you get a new sim card, the old one will be deactivated and the lost phone can't receive commands anymore

>I unable to mark my phone as lost on my online console. any suggestions?
use SMS commands. Maybe the device currently doesn't have internet connection.

Here's my standard "how-do-I-locate-my-phone"-text. It might contain valuable help for your situation:

In order to track your phone you should start by contacting the person (friend/family member) who’s phone number is set as “friend” number in Anti-Theft.
If a thief/finder turns on the phone and changes the SIM card, our app will send a SMS with the current location of the phone and the new phone number (as sending phone number) to this “friend”.

If the friend hasn’t received a SMS, it's most likely that the original SIM card is still in place.

To locate the phone, you send a SMS to the phone with this content

2222 locate

replace 2222 with own avast! PIN - it’s 4-6 digits, only numbers.

There are many SMS commands available that might prove helpful. For example:

GET LOG <query limit>
Sample: 2222 GET LOG 10
Gets the call and SMS log (you see whom the thief called and who called him)

All SMS commands, along with a short description how everything works is explained in our manual available at:
<http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf>
it's short and easy to understand.

Of course you can also use our online interface at my.avast.com to communicate with the anti-theft installation - provided that the app was paired with the online account. The upside of the online portal is, that it’s convenient. The upside of SMS commands is, that they are more reliable and will work even without internet connection (which might be relevant if the thief changes the SIM to a prepaied non-internet SIM card)

Regards,