Author Topic: How Do I Pump Up Avast Free Before A Scan?  (Read 5790 times)

kokolovich

How Do I Pump Up Avast Free Before A Scan?
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:45:17 AM »
Hey, :)

I'm currently using the latest version of Avast Free for my home computer. I'm concerned that I am not getting the maximum effort from the program due to
settings that I don't understand. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to configure my scan settings to get the very most out of each scan. I just want to make sure that my scans are the best and most thorough when I use them.

I'm using Chrome with Windows 7 Home Premium. I also have Malwarebytes Pro installed. Below is a link to my computer specs if that helps.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5187034&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03412349-4%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Other than that I have just one more question while I'm at it. Often times my Malwarebytes window pops up in the system tray saying that it has blocked
a site or something. It indicates that the outgoing program being blocked is Avast. I'm not sure what it means. When I do scans, I never run both Avast and Malwarebytes at the same time. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Sincerely,
kokolovich

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: How Do I Pump Up Avast Free Before A Scan?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
The preconfigured full system scan is the most comprehensive scan there is. However, if you still intend to go beyond what its default settings are, you may:

• Check Scan all files in the scan tab
  • Check Test whole files in the sensitivity tab
  • Check Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUP) in the sensitivity tab
  • Check Follow links during scan in the sensitivity tab
  • Check All packers in the packers tab

These settings would make the full system scan ultra-comprehensive, but otherwise an overkill (imagine the longer scanning time :( ). It's very unlikely that you'll notice a difference in detections since the preconfigured full system scan settings were already comprehensive and effective as-is.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

kokolovich

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
The preconfigured full system scan is the most comprehensive scan there is. However, if you still intend to go beyond what its default settings are, you may:

These settings would make the full system scan ultra-comprehensive, but otherwise an overkill (imagine the longer scanning time :( ). It's very unlikely that you'll notice a difference in detections since the preconfigured full system scan settings were already comprehensive and effective as-is.
Thank you Sir. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
hi kokolovich,

Just so you know, a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) scan is not set to run out-of-the-box because some users don't understand what a PUP is.  Avast! developers have set it to not run to minimize complaints against their program but have also offered the option to scan such for those who do know what a PUP is.  Problem is, many users may well have a program or two they like, but once avast! is set to scan PUP's it doesn't like it and may well then remove it from their system.

Definition of what a PUP is here:  (Includes all other malware definitions, so you will know a little better what you are getting into):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware#Grayware  Grayware is also know(n) as PUP.

For the average user, the default settings out-of-the-box are best left as they are; any missed detections that occur, the majority of the time, are not because avast! was not set to the maximum settings but because the virii malware is unknown to avast!   

You may be looking at possibly a few false positive detections on known clean (not infected) files running at maximum settings, so...  Never delete a file as it may well be clean under these conditions.  Once a file is deleted, it is gone forever.  Delete a Windows file (not an application file) and you break Windows and that may be a false positive detection (FP) so now you've got a problem where there was not one before.  Think (or ask here) before you do anything.

[EDIT:]  Malwarebytes Pro (Paid for or 30-day trial version) monitors your web connections and blocks those it considers to be harmful.  The free version does not have this type of protection.

You can safely run both Malwarebytes Pro (or free) and avast! together; they are compatible.  No adverse impact on your system under normal use.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:22:27 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
I'm concerned that I am not getting the maximum effort from the program due to settings that I don't understand.
if so, i suggest you stay with default settings

SoccerFan707

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
I'm concerned that I am not getting the maximum effort from the program due to settings that I don't understand.

If the settings could not be changed then they wouldn't be there. By default avast does not detect PUPS. There is nothing wrong with turning everything up to run a full scan. Why not? Thats why we can tweak it to our liking. But when you turn heuristics to high thats a different story. You can increase false positives that way.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »

If the settings could not be changed then they wouldn't be there. By default avast does not detect PUPS. There is nothing wrong with turning everything up to run a full scan. Why not? Thats why we can tweak it to our liking. But when you turn heuristics to high thats a different story. You can increase false positives that way.
You happen to be dead wrong.
For the average user the default settings are designed to offer excellent and safe detections.
PUP detections aren't always actual detections since some programs can be used for both good and evil.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

SoccerFan707

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Lol...............Dead wrong? You will be dead long before me old man. Settings can be changed per user. Thats why they are there. If the dude wants to tweak his scanner settings then let him. We are talking about scan settings and not actual real time settings. Once again Bob showing his true colors and bashing peoples comments. Great job.

One of avast's best features is that it is full customizable per user. Heck Bitdefedner is not customizable at all. And that cost money. So kokolovich................tweak away all you want. You can always revert back to default anyways. Thats why avast gives you a default button.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:24:57 PM by SoccerFan707 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

Yes the tweaks are there for those who understand how to use it.....  same with PUP scan
Just browse the virus and worms section and see all those that dont know what it is

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
I think it's about time you change your attitude SoccerFan, that last post of yours was quite offensive and will not be tolerated.

SoccerFan707

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
I think it's about time you change your attitude SoccerFan, that last post of yours was quite offensive and will not be tolerated.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Bob started it so I highly suggest you get your facts straight. What is Bob God? He can d whatever he wants?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Bob started it so I highly suggest you get your facts straight. What is Bob God? He can d whatever he wants?
My facts are very straight and Bobs post was not offensive and was also suggesting common sense unlike many of your own posts which are becoming common in their abusive nature.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »
I wouldn't recommend doing any of these or you will end up getting "some files cannot be scanned" in the results.
Unless a user absolutely knows what they are doing the default settings are plenty good. After all avast has been
doing this for a long time. By now they should know what they are doing...protecting almost two hundred million computers.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.