Author Topic: Trouble at t'mill.  (Read 2209 times)

Tronk

Trouble at t'mill.
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Just installed Avast Security Suite.

A few problems.

Sandbox: my browser, Google Chrome, was 'sandboxed'. My taskbar 'floats', as in I point to the top of the screen and it appears. This doesn't work when in sandbox mode.
The browser is hyper-slow in sandbox mode. Everything 'hangs', and Google keeps asking if I want to 'kill page' etc.
I have now turned it off.

Browser integration: I am told that the security plug in is not installed. I click 'install'. I am told that it is already installed?

Scanning: I was running my first 'full' scan. It interferred with my browser something rotten. In fact, the browser was unusable. I tried to stop Avast, but I couldn't. It wouldn't stop. I tried to close Avast. I couldn't. I tried to close it via the task manager. It would not stop. The system froze up and I had to press the restart button on my tower, not good, to escape.

I haven't a clue what's wrong. What's wrongly configured or whatever.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice.

Tronkus.

Tronk

Re: Trouble at t'mill, or, in the bunker without a sand(box) wedge.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
After turning off the sandbox, the 'full scan' is now racing along with very little detriment to the browser.

But why should I have to turn the sandbox off to have a fully functioning browser?

I'm thinking that I might as well have gone with the free version if I'm unable to use the reputedly useful sandbox.

SoccerFan707

Re: Trouble at t'mill.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
First of all you shouldn't be doing anything else while running a full scan. Let it run and walk away. The browser plugin should be installed via the Chrome store. Ignore what the GUI states.

Tronk

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Right then.

That's 'Well first of all...' taken care of.

And secondly...?

SoccerFan707

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
I use avast free cause thats all I need. Avast sandbox is not as mature as something like Sandboxie. Better off with avast free and sandboxie if you want to use a any type of sandbox.

Tronk

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »
Cheers, chap.

You are dead right: Avast free is way good enough; tons better than the execrable AVG (paid version) that I had.

I've now upgraded my free Malwarebytes to Pro. I reckon Avast free plus Malwarebytes is going to do me fine.

One question, though, as you obviously know what your on about: I'm now left with just the Windows firewall. Is this going to be good enough? Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks again for your advice. The last time I looked, ninety-odd people had viewed my post, and you were the only one to offer assistance.

Paul 'Tronk' Gammage 

SoccerFan707

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Windows Firewall is good enough ever since Vista. When you consider most people are behind a router then thats all you need. 3rd party firewalls just add a lot of unnecessary chatter. You need to exclude MBAM from avast and avast from MBAM since your using MBAM Pro. Sorry but the mods around here are extremely slow. I am glad I could have helped you.

Tronk

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm grateful to you, mate.