Author Topic: Avast vs Adaware.  (Read 4277 times)

Arnold72

Avast vs Adaware.
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
Hi.
Any thoughts or opinions on this test performed by lavasoft.?

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/compare.php

Strange results for avast or is it a marketing gimmick by lavasoft..?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast vs Adaware.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
I seriously question the validity of these so-called tests since they cannot be independently verified.
I noticed the article said "in house tests" which are notoriously skewed.
What wasn't mentioned was how well Ad-Aware performed in independent tests.
Nothing was said about how the malware was collected and handled prior to testing.
They failed to state what settings were used in "their" competitors products, let alone their own
I could go on but what's the use? It's a marketing ploy that only the uninformed will fall for.
Too many questions left unanswered.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast vs Adaware.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
I have never been a fan of various virus/malware tests, I feel that they can't replicate real life situations. If they revolve around on-demand scans, many AV functions/features aren't being tested.

It certainly looks like marketing blurb, there is nothing that shows how the tests were conducted, where the samples were obtained and by whom, etc. nor who conducted the tests.

I suspect this is an in house test, I would tend to lend more weight to independent test sites such as av-comparatives. Not sure if adaware even submit for testing at av-comparatives.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security