Author Topic: Computer freezes after install updates from Windows Update  (Read 22930 times)

Gusbatero

Computer freezes after install updates from Windows Update
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
I have a PC with Win 7. I've installed all "Windows Update" updates yesterday (that has a lot of Security updates) and gave me a lot of problems. First, it downloaded all the items but didn't want to install them. I've restarted my PC and refuses to finish to install the updates. I spent almost all the day trying to solve this, rebooting in Safe mode, etc. Finally, I could install everything but after that, every time I rebooted, the PC froze.
After a lot of tests, I realized that there is a conflict with Avast, because I uninstalled it and had no more problem, and when I installed it again, it froze again.
So now I am using Microsoft Security Essentials ( :/ ) without problems. I thought to uninstall and re-install all Windows Updates installed yesterday, but this is a PC I use at work and I have no more time to spend in this.
Someone has experienced the same issue? I want to keep using Avast!!!

(Sorry for my bad english)

DennyM

Re: Computer freezes after install updates from Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:36 PM »
Are you using 32bit or 64bit Windows 7?  This may be related to my problem yesterday.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
hi Gusbatero,

Please provide info needed about the operating system (32-bit, 64-bit, Service Pack) and version of avast! you had in place before you removed it.

If you had a system hang, at what point did it hang, and what update did it fail to install?  The specific KB number will help here.

Did you use aswclear.exe to reset your system after you removed avast!?

@  DennyM,

Are you asking for help?  If so, best to start your own thread, as it may get a little confusing working with two users with the same or different issues at the same time.  If you do have an issue, include as much detail you think necessary to help us resolve it in your new thread.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Gusbatero

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Hi mchain,

my PC has Win 7 Professional with Service pack 1 / 32 bits.

The Windows updates where the following:

Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726)
Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB2827323)
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2826026)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2826023)
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2826033)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2826035)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2864058)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2862330)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2862335)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2888049)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2884256)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2876284)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2882822)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB2861191)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2847311)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2852386)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB2879017)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2883150)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB2863240)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2846960)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB2861698)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2836939)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2868038)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2864202)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2858302)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2882822)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - October 2013 (KB890830)

Sorry, but I do not remember what version I had before uninstalling Avast, but I always updated it.
My system crashed for the first time after I install updates from Windows Update, when automatically opened my email client Thunderbird. So I unchecked its automatic start, but hung again (can not remember what I was doing).
I uninstalled Avast, didn't apply aswclear.exe (don't know what it is ... I will find out) and downloaded the latest version of Avast's website, and reinstalled. It seemed it installed fine, but when offered to check the system, ir crashed again. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for you replay!

critterbug

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »
Holy shmit. This is exactly what happened to a coworker's machine yesterday (and in related news I had puter issues all day yesterday, as well).  Windows hung at 32% and we spent hours working on it. Trying to boot in safe mode, system restores, etc. Never could get to a functioning desktop. I really suspect there was an avast/windows update conflict. I haven't looked yet at what the updates were.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
Hi Gusbatero,

Does your system start/boot at all?

I really thing the best thing to propose is to have a certified malware expert have a look-see here.  As they are certified in repairing damage as well as malware removal, things will move along much faster for you in fixing your issues with expert help

Don't worry about aswclear.exe atm.

[EDIT:]  Notified an expert to join.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:07:47 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »
Hi there first we will do a clean install of Avast and see if that clears the problem

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. no need to do that

• In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

phoenicks

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
I've got exactly this error as well. I am so relieved it's not just me! For what it's worth, here's my sorry tale:

A Windows 7 Update around the start of October hung on shutdown & I had to eventually do a hard reboot. From that point on I have had progressively worse computer problems. Everything starts up OK to begin with but within a few minutes (pretty much the point that Windows Update comes back and tells me that there are more updates to download & install - I have them set on manual rather than automatic) the computer freezes, especially when I try and run a program, especially Windows Explorer / Start button). I've tried system restore and deleting downloaded updates from the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution dir, but the interesting (and annoying) thing is that the computer ALWAYS thinks it still has updates to finish installing. Shortly after starting up in normal mode, & if I get to the Start button before it all freezes, the Shutdown option has the 'install updates' exclamation mark icon. And it then just hangs again. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect & I can't access Task Manager. I've tried using some Registry cleaners and even though I had a few issues, nothing that was fixed made any difference - the Reg Cleaners think everything is now OK. But it isn't.

I have to admit I didn't link all of this with a possible Avast issue, but this is the only place I have seen on the Web that references exactly the same problem with machines running Win7, Avast and the recent updates.

I'm on Win7, sp1, 32bit. Currently the only way to reliably get on to the machine & browse the web is using Safe Mode with networking. The fact that Safe Mode doesn't load up Windows Update made me think the issue was just with WU. But Safe Mode also disables Avast.

My theory - Avast has stopped something in WU working properly. WU now has some semi-installed components sitting in a queue somewhere in my system and it wants to complete the installation but can't. Windows Explorer then hangs, taking Task Manager & Win7 OS with it.

Please help resolve this! I was up until silly o'clock trying to fix this last night!  :'(

I want to get the semi-installed WU components removed and Avast to work correctly with WU. Any guidance would be gratefully received!

Cheers
Nick

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
If you think that they are conflicting then uninstall Avast .. Complete the updates and re-install Avast

Do this from safe mode

Before re-installing Avast install the updates

Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net

• Run aswClear

• In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

phoenicks

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Hi

Yes, uninstalling Avast & then continuing with Windows Updates works. My computer is free and running normally again. Thank you!!!

However, I've just tried re-installing Avast and it crashed again within a couple of minutes.

I will have to uninstall and either find an alternative AV or hope that you get Avast fixed in the next few days...

:-(

Cheers

Nick

grinlord

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
I have similar issues. I have my own thread on this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136751

I am watching this thread eagerly hoping to learn a solution.

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
while there were various issues that people were having with the various windows-updates, as far as the "avast" program goes, i think the problem is due to a conflict, of some type, with "trusteer"..

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:41 AM »
Strange, I just finished updating a computer running Windows 7 that hasn't been updated
since Nov. 2011 - the first batch of updates where 156 updates, followed by another 76 and it's currently
on what I hope is the last round of another 3 updates.
I've not had any problems at all and this is an old computer with one Gig of Ram.
What I've done was to pause the shields till the next reboot once it started to download the updates.
That way, avast! didn't interfere with Windows update process.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Gusbatero

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
Hi there first we will do a clean install of Avast and see if that clears the problem

Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net

• Run aswClear

• Press Uninstall
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Well,

I have done this and it worked for me!
I did applied the aswClear, but in Safe mode, and reinstalled and PC froze again. So I did what essexboy told, uninstalled without go to Safe mode disconnected from the net, and installed the LAST update. I had an version of last week, I don't know if today's version is new.
The difference is that previously, when I installed Avast, it asked to scan the system before starting, and then was when it froze the PC. With this last version it didn't ask to scan the system, and started directly. I don't know if this is good, but now Avast is working fine.

Thank you!

grinlord

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
So does this mean that ASWCLEAR works best in Normal Mode, after removing Avast from Control Panel?