Author Topic: aswRvrt.sys > XP hangs, even in safe mode after auto updates...  (Read 4080 times)

AvastyBoy

aswRvrt.sys > XP hangs, even in safe mode after auto updates...
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
If at all possible, I could really use your response today since I must have the system up in running by tonight.

XP is now hanging after auto updates occurred on my system (I presume it was a Microsoft auto update since, as I was logging off earlier, a message indicated asking if I would like to auto install updates). However, my system now hangs when I try booting up leading me to a blue screen.

In safe mode, or any other type of safe mode, the file shown last on the screen is as follows: aswRvrt.sys. Then, the blue screen as before. Reading the forums, it looks like all I need to do is attach that 'frst' file, and someone will look and resolve the issue. However, looking at other user responses, it seems all the fixlist document does is restore the system to a old restore point. I chose one several days earlier when the system rebooted fine.

I still get the blue screen even after the program restores the system to an earlier restore point.

What else can I do? I really need to get this fixed. Thank you!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: aswRvrt.sys > XP hangs, even in safe mode after auto updates...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
Unfortunately I appears that windows updates has struck again.  Whatever the updates changed it is the file after aswRvrt.sys that is the problem

AvastyBoy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »
Should fixing the system to one of its restore points alleviate the problem? And, is there a way of determining what the next file is? Why does it stop at "aswRvrt.sys"?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
It stops at the last successfully loaded file which in this case is aswRvrt.sys.   A system restore is worth a try but the chances of success are low

Another alternative is to try chkdsk from the command line option on the safe mode menu

At the command line type the following and press enter :

chkdsk /r

AvastyBoy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
System restore is definitely not working as I have attempted to reload that former restore point.

As for the command prompt in safe mode, I cannot see to go there since I still receive the BSOD no matter which option is available to me. Every time, it stops at aswRvrt.sys.

What is happening and why does it stop there at aswRvrt.sys? Would uninstalling Avast do the trick? Is there another way to get to the command prompt other than trying to get through WinXP?

Many thanks for your replies?

AvastyBoy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
*replies! :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
You can uninstall Avast but it will make no difference as it will stop on another file I am afraid

AvastyBoy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »
Out of curiosity, then, what may have happened in general? Seems rather devastating and potentially widespread if we're just simply talking about a standard MS update. What occurs at that moment to prevent the operating system from loading. It just so happens it stops on the Avast file, but it sounds like it could stop at any (although hundreds load prior to that file)?

SoccerFan707

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
You only have a few more months with XP so its best to think about a new pc.

AvastyBoy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »
Thanks, and yes I am aware of that XP will no longer be supported (I have 7 on my other systems). However, in the spirit of learning, why does the system hang on this file? Can this be overcome despite the system being XP since an update from MS or Avast should not really have done it in like it did? Can the system be recovered using the XP disc. Will using my Windows 7 install disc to upgrade fix the issue too?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
You may be able to do a repair install using the XP disc.  However, that will revert the system back to the service pack that is on the disc

As to why it is causing this problem I have no idea.  If you hunt around you will find a fair few XP systems that are hanging after windows updates

Upgrading to 7 will definitely fix it as all the files are different for 7