Author Topic: Which Email Address Infected  (Read 1875 times)

paul2463

Which Email Address Infected
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
Hello

For some reason I find myself in the unenviable position of being on someones "send him a virus by email" list, but of course as I have Avast which looks after my system wonderfully has found them and deleted them for me. My only question is:-

Is there a way to find out which email address the email was sent to, I have nine email accounts in Thunderbird and I would like to change the one that is being hit but I cant find out which one it was, can someone tell me where to look for this information?

When i look in the Mail Shield-> Shield Log, i can see the email and if I hover over it I can get a short list of the potentially hundreds of recipients, but unfortunately my email address is not one of the ones I can see.

Thanks in advance

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Which Email Address Infected
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
For some reason I find myself in the unenviable position of being on someones "send him a virus by email" list, but of course as I have Avast which looks after my system wonderfully has found them and deleted them for me. My only question is:-
well, it is most likely somone that have a infected computer and you are in the address book on that computer
or the badguys have just harvested your address

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
well, it is most likely somone that have a infected computer and you are in the address book on that computer
or the badguys have just harvested your address
One of the ways harvesting can happen is by posting your email addy on a public forum.  Hopefully that never happened here.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

paul2463

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
No It didnt post my email in any online forums for people to read freely

but the questions was - How do I find out which of my 9 email address that Thunderbird downloads for me, is the one that is infected, after Avast has deleted it, there is no way I can find which address is the one getting the emails