Author Topic: Two Avast Internet Security Licences For One Computer  (Read 19786 times)

blowtorch73

Two Avast Internet Security Licences For One Computer
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
After getting my Avast account sorted out, I suggested to my wife that she had better check hers. She did and found that she had 2 licences for Internet Security, one for 1 computer and one for 3 computers. E-mailed Avast to ask for an explanation and received a reply stating that she had purchased 2 licences, 1 in August and the other in September. The only time after the initial purchase that she can recall anything about Avast was that a message came up saying that if she didn't upgrade then protection would be lost and she therefore clicked on the message.
It would appear that on this occasion, Avast have taken advantage of her lack of expertise on a computer. And since there must be many, many thousands like her, isn’t it about time you introduced a system which would highlight the fact that customers who already have Avast cover in place should make the approach to Avast if they want additional cover and not the other way around. In that way, the inexperienced computer user would not inadvertently purchase a package that turned out to be totally surplus to requirements.
In their reply, Avast have also stated that they cannot cancel the licences or refund the money. That is nonsense! They can cancel if they so desired and they can refund. They have chosen not to. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Two Avast Internet Security Licences For One Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
She should have in the new (renewed) license.
That way she would not have gotten the popup with the expire notice again.
Avast is not at fault here, she decide voluntary to buy another license.

What you are saying is like:
Someone drives a car while he can't. That person hits a tree and blames the car manufacturer for making cars.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
I noticed in your signature that you have both AIS and SAS Pro running at the same time.
Which is okay as long as SAS is "not" real time. If both are real time you run a greater risk
of either an infection or false positives. AIS and MBAM Pro play well together, but not
AIS and SAS Pro. Just to be safe I would suggest you turn "off" the real time protection
in SAS Pro.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

blowtorch73

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
She should have in the new (renewed) license       ...............She should have what Eddy?           

That way she would not have gotten the popup with the expire notice again. ......................... ????????????????

Avast is not at fault here, she decide voluntary to buy another license. ................Wrong Eddy. Why would she buy a further licence for Internet Security for 3 computers when she had Internet Seurity installed 3 weeks before for her one and only computer.

What you are saying is like:someone  es a car while he can't. ..........No! You are saying that and if you read it again it doesn't make sense.

How wrong can you be Eddy? What I am saying is that there are thousands if not millions out there with ittle    owledge of computers. There are also millions of people out there like many of the contributers on this forum, who are so knowledgeble that they would never, ever get caught out with such, as you call it, a popup. Sadly, my wife, and probably myself, fall into the first group.

blowtorch73

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
I noticed in your signature that you have both AIS and SAS Pro running at the same time.
Which is okay as long as SAS is "not" real time. If both are real time you run a greater risk
of either an infection or false positives. AIS and MBAM Pro play well together, but not
AIS and SAS Pro. Just to be safe I would suggest you turn "off" the real time protection
in SAS Pro.  :)
Thank you for the warning. SAS is used as a stand alone scanner only. :)

Arnold72

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
Whether other scanners are being used is totally irrelevant to this discussion.This is about avast licensing and support and not other scanners etc.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
Whether other scanners are being used is totally irrelevant to this discussion.This is about avast licensing and support and not other scanners etc.
I know that. I just observed that the potential for disaster existed. That's all. Nothing more...nothing less.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Arnold72

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »
I must apologise Para-noid.I wasnt implying your comments were unjust.

Just to add i believe the OP should remove SAS as its considered useless at the moment.

blowtorch73

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
I took Para-noid's reply for what it was, a friendly piece of advice. Had he opened another thread to give that piece of advice, then I would probably have missed it. Unless I've missed something you've said, it would appear that it is your own quoted reply which is totally irrelevant to the discussion

blowtorch73

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
I must apologise Para-noid.I wasnt implying your comments were unjust.

Agreed, but you were saying that they were misplaced!  I for one am grateful for the contribution and perhaps others who read the thread, will be too. :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
@ blowtorch73  You may want to change your sig to read "SAS Pro (On-demand)".
                         FWIW I use SAS Free for an occasional scanner, maybe once or twice a month.

I was not offended nor was I attempting to be offensive.
I took everything as-is.

And I feel for blowtorch for having licenses they don't need. However if one of those licenses is for multiple
computers you can always allow someone else use an unused license. The end result is one more machine
protected by avast.  8)

Arnold72

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »
Judging by the aggressive and argumentative stance taken by the OP i will post no more on this erroneous issue.
Hope the problem gets solved and i sincerely hope diplomacy will prevail.

That is all.

blowtorch73

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
Whether other scanners are being used is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

Followed by

Judging by the aggressive and argumentative stance taken by the OP

A case of the pot calling the kettle black I think. ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
No need to fan the flames.  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
she had purchased 2 licenses, 1 in August and the other in September
If she had used the first one, she would not have gotten the reminder. Therefor it is very likely she had not bought another on in October.
Avast is not at fault here, she decide voluntary to buy another license. ................Wrong Eddy. Why would she buy a further licence for Internet Security for 3 computers when she had Internet Security installed 3 weeks before for her one and only computer.
Wrong? Yes she was/is. Installing the IS is not the same as installing it and providing the license file. If she had provided the license file bought in September, she would not have gotten the reminder(s) and most likely would not have bought another license in October.
What you are saying is like:someone  es a car while he can't. ..........No! You are saying that and if you read it again it doesn't make sense.
It sure does make sense. If you want to drive a car you will need to spend time on learning how, if you want to fly a plane you will need to spend time on learning how to do it. The same goes for computers, if you want to use one, you will need to spend (a lot of) time learning how to use them/how they work.
It would appear that on this occasion, Avast have taken advantage of her lack of expertise on a computer.
No they haven't. She wants to use a computer, so she has to learn about it. Avast can't be blamed for that. As I said before, don't blame a car manufacturer if you drive a car and crash with it because you can't drive.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:42:36 PM by Eddy »