Author Topic: 30 seconds to boot?  (Read 2605 times)

jak0lantash

30 seconds to boot?
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been using avast for many years on my PC. Because my PC started to be old, I built a new one, high end components, SSD and everything... So I was expecting a very fast boot...
But as it wasn't the case (more than a minute), so I tried to analyze boot time. After using Soluto for over a month, it clearly shows that the average time needed to start Avast at boot time is around 30 seconds (sometimes more).
It's a bit disappointing.

Is 30 seconds an expected performance ?
If not, does anybody else encounter the same kind of issue ?
Is there a way to log everything that Avast do at boot time, so I could try locate the source of this slow boot ?

Thank you for your reply

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: 30 seconds to boot?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..??
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV(s) did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

jak0lantash

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm using the free version, always up to date, latest definitions, latest core version.
It's running on Windows Ultimate SP1 64bits, also with all the windows updates installed.
No other security related software installed. Disabling or enabling Windows Defender doesn't change anything.
I've been using Avast for at least the last 5 years.

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

jak0lantash

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »
I apologize, I may have led you in the wrong direction. I used Avast! for the past 5 years on all of my computers, but this one is brand new. I didn't have any other system running on it. Avast 8 is running on it, it's a fresh install, no other AV program was installed before (even other version of Avast).
I still can remove it and install it again the way you said, but I don't think it will solve anything.

ram1220

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »
 It won't help to uninstall and reinstall Avast 8. that's the common things posted here in these forums. The slower boot time is just a byproduct of Avast 8. I've used Avast for about 5 years also. Previous versions did not take as long to boot.

jak0lantash

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I don't think either that uninstalling and reinstalling Avast will improve the boot time. I was more looking for a guidance to find an anormal behaviour. But it seems that this lack of performance is actually expected, or should be expected. I think it's a very bad thing though. People expect their computer to start quickly, never that the AV's initialization will double boot time!!
Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply. I hope Avast staff will take into consideration: make sure you don't destroy people's computer's performance, or they'll go have a look at the other AVs...