Author Topic: Change Avast PIN  (Read 2605 times)

nsalazar

Change Avast PIN
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:31:32 AM »
Can I change my Avast PIN other than using the Panel (my.avast.com)??

I've tried to change it, but it throws me the following error message: Please specify a valid SET command.". The phone is using the version 2.0 Build 2627 and is currently stolen.

I need to change the PIN or somehow fix the Panel (so it allows me to change the settings)

What do I need to do make effective this request?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Change Avast PIN
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Hello,

I recommend to use the corresponding SMS command:

SET PIN <access code>
Sample: 2222 SET PIN 3333

Will change the avast! PIN. You will need to
provide a PIN of 4-6 digits!

here's my "my-phone-is-lost" text. It might provide additional valuable information for you:

In order to track your phone you should start by contacting the person (friend/family member) who’s phone number is set as “friend” number in Anti-Theft.
If a thief/finder turns on the phone and changes the SIM card, our app will send a SMS with the current location of the phone and the new phone number (as sending phone number) to this “friend”.

If the friend hasn’t received a SMS, it's most likely that the original SIM card is still in place.

To locate the phone, you send a SMS to the phone with this content

2222 locate

replace 2222 with own avast! PIN - it’s 4-6 digits, only numbers.

There are many SMS commands available that might prove helpful. For example:

GET LOG <query limit>
Sample: 2222 GET LOG 10
Gets the call and SMS log (you see whom the thief called and who called him)

All SMS commands, along with a short description how everything works is explained in our manual available at:
<http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf>
it's short and easy to understand.

Of course you can also use our online interface at my.avast.com to communicate with the anti-theft installation - provided that the app was paired with the online account. The upside of the online portal is, that it’s convenient. The upside of SMS commands is, that they are more reliable and will work even without internet connection (which might be relevant if the thief changes the SIM to a prepaied non-internet SIM card)

Regards,
Werner