Author Topic: Multiple machines hanging at desktop. Vista / Windows Update at fault?  (Read 10858 times)

grinlord

Hi.

I run a small local computer support company. I have been recommending and installing Avast Free for years. I have Avast Pro on my work machine, and Avast Free on everything else.

Over the last week, I have had 3 different customer's computers all with the same problem:
The machine hangs just after the desktop shows, or in one case, just after the password screen, but before the desktop. All computers ran Vista 32bit.

In each case, I could boot in Safe Mode. So I scanned the hard drive for errors with Spinrite (DOS) and Chkdsk, ran Malwarebytes, Combofix. None of these showed any problems and still Normal mode would not boot. So then I resorted to Aswclear, and normal mode worked. However, when I tried to install Avast again (latest version) it would freeze the system just after clicking Finish at the end of the installation. The system tray ball would only appear on one of the machines. In all cases, the startup scan would appear but never progress from 0%.

On one of the machines, I even did a Vista repair install, which then meant I had to re-install all the Windows Updates.

For the time being, they all have Microsoft Security Essentials, which also found nothing on a full scan. Ideally though, I would like to put Avast back on these machines as I believe in it's superior protection from my experience and test data I have read.

Customers reported that their machines were working fine until it installed some updates. However, I take this with a pinch of salt as a customer's description of an update can be vague, and I've never had to remove a Windows Update to fix a PC. It normally implies a bigger problem i.e. corrupt files, incompatibility.

The coincidences are too many to ignore though. I hope someone can shed some light on this!

Alex.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Multiple machines hanging at desktop. Vista / Windows Update at fault?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
What exact version of avast did you try to install?
On one of the machines, I even did a Vista repair install, which then meant I had to re-install all the Windows Updates.
If you run a small support company, you should know that with a slipstreamed cd/dvd all updates would have been installed during the repair install.

And Windows Vista? I take it they are old(er) systems. Put at least XP on them and not the most bugged OS MS has ever released.

And please read THIS
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:27:34 PM by Eddy »

grinlord

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »
I'm very surprised to see this. I can't just "put" XP on them without a licence. My customers are home users, not corporate. Anyway, support for XP ends soon, and hardware and software support is already limited.

I have no problem waiting for Windows Update on 1 machine whilst I repair some others. If anything, it proved that the machine could install Windows Updates with any other problems.

Also, regarding your link, I know MSE isn't very good, which is why I want to put Avast back on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:38:18 PM by grinlord »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:07:56 AM »
What I was trying to say is use a Vista install cd with all updates streamed into it. It is faster/easier then downloading/installing the updates from the internet.

I said XP because I know the problem with old(er) systems. No W7/W8 drivers for the hardware the users have, slowing down the system etc. But at least XP is more reliable then Vista. And since XP support is about to end (2014) a license is really cheap now.

phoenicks

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »
Hi

I think this is possibly related to another thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136436.0

Although we were running Win7, a recent Windows Update caused a conflict with Avast and our computers froze. Solution is to uninstall Avast and hope that they get it fixed quickly, otherwise we'll have to use an alternative AV.

Cheers

Nick

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:11 AM »
What exact avast version are you installing/trying to use?

grinlord

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:04 AM »

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
grinlord, as far as the avast program causing a problem, some people have said that, after a recent avast-update, their computers wouldn't boot.. apparently it was because of an issue with "trusteer".. i would assume that the problem was due to the avast program's flagging a "trusteer" file, blocking it from running, causing a problem, but i have not seen where anyone has said that that was the case, only that uninstalling "trusteer" resolved the problem..

on another note, for the record, from what i have read, there have been several issues with the recent microsoft-updates for october, though i don't know how serious the issues are.. actually, i am in the process of going back and trying to find the articles that i read about the various issues with the various updates... i won't go into a lengthy discussion about that..

since uninstalling the avast program seemed to resolve the problems that you were seeing, i will assume that the issue was related to the avast program and a conflict, of some type, with "trusteer"..

grinlord

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:29:19 AM »
Interesting. I normally suggest uninstalling Trusteer as all it is, is a password assistant and a memory hog.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »
Try to install/use the latest version. Avast 2014-RC3

grinlord

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »
Try to install/use the latest version. Avast 2014-RC3

Where do I get this from if the latest version on the website is 8.0.1497 ?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

grinlord

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
I am pleased to report that on one of the affected machines, the 2014-RC3 version has solved the problem! Unfortunately the other affected machines have already been returned to their owners, but at least I hope this should solve similar future issues.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
Could be you already know it, but avast 2014 final has been released.
Anyway, good to hear at least one system is working again now.

grinlord

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
Will the RC3 automatically update to the final version if I have automatic program updates on?