Author Topic: Safe Mode Networking - No Updates?  (Read 15316 times)

Offline a_vast

Re: Safe Mode Networking - No Updates?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
Update: I loaded the cd to the 2core and opened the Avast file which copied over successfully. I have now commenced a full virus scan in Safe Mode.

Another thought - would it also be possible to load (usb key) the latest MBAM file to the 2core please - and if so, where would I download it?

Anything else I can copy to the 2core while it is isolated from the Internet?

Thanks,

AV

Offline a_vast

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
Update: negative.

It's AvastPro btw.

Did a full Avast scan in Safe Mode which gave 'No Threat Found'. I then selected Boot Scan at startup, and did a restart. But no boot scan happened. Same old thing - computer boots up as normal, cursor works until it passes down to the lower margin (where the Windows button is) then you get the hourglass.

Then when you try to click on a desktop icon the cursor turns into the hourglass again, and that's it, system freeze :( The processor led light still flickers now and then, so something is going on somewhere, no idea what though.

It must be diagnostic that the boot scan is prevented in normal mode - any ideas please?

Will also investigate that earlier link.

Thanks,

AV

ps. might a system restore help here?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:17:17 AM by a_vast »

Offline a_vast

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
Update:

The 2core is without Internet connectivity at the moment and I can't fit a dongle to it. The wireless connector Belkin USB N150 apparently has driver issues, to add to my woes. Not that fitting anything to the 2core would have much effect in normal mode at the moment.

I downloaded the latest ADWcleaner to a usb key and ran it on the 2core. After the scan and clean I clicked on the log but it opened Adobe Reader which couldn't open the text file. I have noticed Reader opening since I have had this issue, it is obviously linked to what is going on.

After running ADWcleaner I attempted an Avast scan in normal mode which froze after about 2 seconds.

What about saving other diagnostic or anti-virus/malware programs to usb key and running them, is that also possible please?

Thanks,

AV

Offline a_vast

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
Dear Avast forum,

Please find attached MBAM log which opened in txt.

Comments appreciated.

AV

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
Since there is nothing (detections) on the mbam log it isn't going to be much help. Not to mention you haven't updated the database for some considerable time (Database version: v2012.12.14.11), security based programs must be kept up to date or they aren't effective.

Your version of mbam is also out of date Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.70.0.1100 when the latest is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.75.0.1300.

Since you have the Pro version, you should have it do auto updates, this keeps the program and definitions up to date. You should also consider enabling the protection.

####
You need to open the Start Scanner and check the Logs tab and look for the log where you actually detected something which you deleted (it should be in the Quarantine), ending up with the problem in booting. Posting the contents of that log will help, as it would give an idea if what was deleted was crucial and could have messed up the normal boot function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »
Hi there lets see if we can locate the problem for you

First we will try a clean boot and see if that eases the problem, if it does we will continue from there

In the search box type Msconfig and select the programme that appears at the top

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.

2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
NoteThe Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
3.Click the Services tab.
4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Is the computer behaving normally now ?

Offline a_vast

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Hi there lets see if we can locate the problem for you

First we will try a clean boot and see if that eases the problem, if it does we will continue from there

In the search box type Msconfig and select the programme that appears at the top

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
NoteThe Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
3.Click the Services tab.
4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Is the computer behaving normally now ?

Cool.

The computer has been running in normal mode for 10 minutes, that's about 9 minutes 58 seconds longer than it's been running - normal mode - for a week. It went straight into full scan and has been scanning for 10 minutes but the percent is still at 0%. Nevertheless, the computer is running and the processor is functioning, I have the Task Manager window on, to see what is going on, not that it tells me a great deal. But so far so good  :)

Offline a_vast

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
...Your version of mbam is also out of date Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.70.0.1100 when the latest is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.75.0.1300...

Many thanks, I'm doing the best I can: the computer has no Internet connection since the Belkin dongle N150 let me down, and a replacement dongle is proably many days away, so I can't easily update any of these programmes.

AV

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
OK now comes the boring bit

Go into Msconfig again and re-enable half of the services. 
Reboot
Is it still running normally ?

If yes then enable half of the remaining services and repeat etc. etc.  until we can determine which service is causing the problem

Offline a_vast

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
ok will do  8)

but first here is a snap of the scan in progress - over 10 mins & still 0%?

Oops, wait up - that timer makes no sense to me! :o I do believe that scan has crashed?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:03:03 PM by a_vast »

Offline a_vast

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »
So the answer is no at the moment - the 2core's not running normally in normal mode. It hasn't crashed but the Avast scan has been (?) disabled. MBAM still functions okay even though it cannot be updated at the moment. I always manually updated MBAM daily. What the Avast subscription message means is a mystery to me. I paid for a full subscription 'Pro' about a year ago, is there a window somewhere showing my subscriptions and payments please?

However - the odd computer bahaviour is more important at the moment - what is disabling Avast?

Thanks,

AV
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:58:53 PM by a_vast »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:55 PM »
That appears to be V8 am I correct ?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:39 PM »
That appears to be V8 am I correct ?

Yes, it's v8.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
Are you prepared to try V9, if so you will need to do a clean install

Offline a_vast

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
Are you prepared to try V9, if so you will need to do a clean install

You mean Version 9? That's going to have to wait till I can hook up to the Internet?

Meanwhile I tried to get Avast to custom scan C: drive and got the following message with a white 'x' in a red circle: "Unable To Start Scan - There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. OK."

Just added that in case it throws any more light on things?

Btw, still the option of removing the C: drive and placing it in an external enclosure, then flushing it through with a current Avast + Malwarbytes from a healthy laptop? Just a thought  ???