Author Topic: Unscannable Files  (Read 10801 times)

Alicia82

Re: Unscannable Files
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
I think the issue with the unscannable files is my fault. Earlier this week when I saw the Adobe security release(s), I reinstalled the latest update for Reader version 10 - even though mine was apparently already up to date (I wanted to be sure it was installed). So maybe because I installed something that was already there, things got muddled up?

I only just remembered doing this - it was a blip in my week. 

Alicia82

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:12 AM »
*Update*
I don't think Adobe Reader 11 is available for Windows Vista - that's why the links kept taking me to 10. I discovered this after following a manual download link that was left in response to someone's inquiry on the Adobe forums. As soon as I select Vista as my 'Operating System,' Adobe Reader 11 is no longer an option, only 9 and 10 are available. I use Reader once in a blue moon so hopefully it's okay to stick with the latest version of 10...and keep checking for updates.

Since reinstalling version of 10, and restating the computer, I'm no longer seeing any unscannable files in the Avast! scan - so that's at least bit of good news. :)

A huge Thank You to everyone who helped me out and answered all my wonky questions. Avast! forums truly is one of the kindest/most helpful. xo

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:04:04 AM by Alicia82 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 01:42:33 AM »
Adobe Reader is a huge target for malware and it is rather bloated now from what it originally was.

Given that you appear not to be able install the latest version with Vista, it is more vulnerable to exploits. So I would suggest that you get an alternative pdf reader (there are many free ones) and completely uninstall adobe reader.

I use PDF-XChange PDF Viewer there are others.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alicia82

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice, DavidR.
Does uninstalling Adobe Reader via my computer's 'uninstall programs' remove it completely, or is there something else (a removal program) that I need to download?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:57:38 AM by Alicia82 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:48 AM »
Yes it should remove it completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice, DavidR.
Does uninstalling Adobe Reader via my computer's 'uninstall programs' remove it completely, or is there something else (a removal program) that I need to download?

You might try this after normal uninstall to get rid of any leftover:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

Alicia82

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 03:33:29 AM »
Okay, I think it's completely removed. Thanks, DavidR, and iroc9555 (for the link). :)

David, by any chance do you happen to have a link to where I can safely download PDF-XChange PDF viewer? I don't want to download it from a place that's not trusted.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
if you only use it to read pdf.doc..... like me there is sumatra pdf, very small and simple

sumatra.   http://filehippo.com/download_sumatrapdf/

pdf xchange.   http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/PDF-XChange-Viewer.shtml

Alicia82

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »
Thanks, Pondus. :)

Casteele

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
Just a quick note to hopefully help anyone else out there regarding updates to Acrobat, Flash, Java, and other common software.. (which probably does not affect this user's problem, but..)

*ALWAYS* check that you're only getting updates from *OFFICIAL* websites. I've seen many people go to a site that displays a "Your XYZ program is out of date and vulnerable to viruses! Please click here to update", but the clickable link leads to a virus/trojan infected file, rather than the official website. A lot of malware is spread by using such tactics, making you fear getting a virus so much that you jump to click on the link that *is* a virus. (I think I saw a link the other day telling me to update to Adobe Flash version 15, which fixes a security flaw that allows "hackers to access your bank accounts".. Problem is, when I went to Adobe's website, the *latest* flash version was only version 11.. no such thing as version 15.

Cheers,
C.

Alicia82

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
Great advice, Casteele. I always rely on the Avast! software check & Firefox plugin check to keep track of updates (I just follow their links to whatever is needed). A few years ago I fell prey to one of those phony virus warnings - I've been overprotective ever since. :p
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:58:35 PM by Alicia82 »