Author Topic: Zone Alarm Free & Avast Free Hi Speed Conflictions  (Read 6078 times)

WKMahler

Zone Alarm Free & Avast Free Hi Speed Conflictions
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:14:19 PM »
Hi,

The latest free Zone Alarm Anti Virus monitoring does not "know" Avast is the antivirus scanner yet Zone Alarm has configured program to internet access in program control.

The Avast webshield is on.

Yet since the two combined have been my computer, there have been internet drops a. k. a. no surfing, email chat anything intermittedly almost every 20 minutes to 1/2  hour.

A complete "My Computer" anti virus scan was completed with no viruses found.
What to do and how to do it I ask.

*There is in the Local Settings\Temp\A-NSISu_.exe according to Zone Alarm program access feature that I removed yesterday, it does not show up in the Temp folder yet appeared again today.  A computer scan for the A-NSISu_.exe and it is not in the computer (or could be, virus?)

WKMahler

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Zone Alarm Free & Avast Free Hi Speed Conflictions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 08:32:14 PM »
There have been reports that the latest update to ZoneAlarm has been causing the type of brief disconnects (and general sluggishness) that you are experiencing.

For example:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39192573,00.htm

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 08:36:39 PM »
Alanrf,

thanks for the link, I wonder if the speed problems with SMTP and avast you were both experiencing with Harvey can not be after all connected with ZoneAlarm... if you will eventually uninstall this software (for whatever reason) please retest the SMTP speed with avast! for us. I know you tried with ZoneAlarm turned off but the driver remains loaded anyway. Thanks. Lukas

"For the past few weeks my download speed has been cut in half," wrote one agitated user on Zone Labs' forums. He said he had uninstalled the software and regained full-speed access, only to install it again and be cut back down to half-speed.

Hopismum

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »
I had this same problem.     Had used Zone Alarm successfully for quite some time  (Win XP Home here)  then with the ZA update found myself constantly losing net connection.   It got so bad that I uninstalled ZA and the problem totally went away.

I switched to Segate..  and its working perfectly

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 08:51:07 PM »
Lukas,

I first read this article a couple of days ago.  As soon as I saw it I uninstalled ZoneAlarm from my system and conducted the SMTP tests again.  The results did not change for me.

However, I am not seeing any of the other issues (disconnects) etc. that some are experiencing.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 09:01:10 PM »
I first read this article a couple of days ago.  As soon as I saw it I uninstalled ZoneAlarm from my system and conducted the SMTP tests again.  The results did not change for me.

Thanks. In fact it is rather a mystery for me, as I descibe in the harvey's thread.

MFB

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 10:20:36 PM »
I have the latest ZoneAlarm and I have not suffer from this issue.  During the past, I found out my internet speed was slow.  Hmm... :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 11:59:22 PM »
Some manufactures are reporting ZoneAlarm is not fully compatible with HTTP protocol (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html)
This could be the reason of any conflicts.
For instance, with local proxy applications.
The best things in life are free.