Author Topic: Avast 2014 blocks CCleaner functions on Win7-64 bit systems?  (Read 27746 times)

Offline digmor crusher

Re: Avast 2014 blocks CCleaner functions on Win7-64 bit systems?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 03:49:06 AM »
Running W7 x64, Ccleaner, no problems.

thug4real

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
Running W7 x64, Ccleaner, no problems.
Yep after I reinstalled my windows 7 sp1 x64, no problem here, I can confirm this :)

Edit: Well not entirely, after I installed Adobe PS5, I can't disable some start-up process of Adobe with Ccleaner, I have to disable again the avast self-defence module. So reinstalling the windows partially fix this issue, but with some specific process like Adobe, and maybe others who knows apparently you need to disable avast self-defence module.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:15:30 PM by RealNature »

olddog

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
I can confirm that on Windows Pro 64 bit, with Avast! 2014 and CCleaner 4.07.4369 64 bit, some startup items can be enabled/disabled in CCleaner, and some can't. They return the message "Failed to enable/disable startup item: Access is denied".

With those items, disabling Avast! self-defence module allows the changes to be made.

reisender67

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »
Hello,

I have the same problem.
I think only startup processes in folder HKLM\Software\wow6432nod\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Run are affected, because there is also an AVAST entry (see Screenshot). So this Folder is protected by AVAST. AVAST have to change their self-defence settings.

Greetings
Christian

cfws

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 01:56:27 AM »
I DO have the reported problem: on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit with actual CCleaner and Avast 2014, in CCleaner Tools Menu / Startup it is no more possible to deactivate common entries like Adobe ARM or Java Update Scheduler.
- It took about 10 hours of work until I discovered this thread. I thought I had problems with access control / security items, tried and retried to take ownership with my (admin) user of simply everything. When this failed, I came to this forum. Gladly somebody had started the thread, thank you so much.

This moment I experience even worse problems, like CCleaner Clean hanging, SWEEPI Clean hanging (SWEEPI is great, experience it!). Not sure whether this is although fault of Avast.

I already informed exceptions in Avast, and this moment I totally deactivated Avast in his options menu. The problems still persist. Next step: I will do a total deinstallation of Avast 2014 (my personal and subjective recommendation).

Even though I am very grateful for the past time excellence of Avast Free Antivirus, it has been the n°1.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
I can confirm too, problems enabling/disabling/removing some startup items. It works for some, but not for others...
I think you're on to something with the theory about avast protecting the whole syswow64 registry section instead of only its entry...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:11:52 PM by jvidal »

propheticus

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
+1. I too cannot remove startup entries using Ccleaner... very annoying.

thug4real

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
And still in 9.0.2008, no changes in this issue(problem still occur) :-\

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
If the latest AVAST update is having issues with CCleaner I'm sticking with my old AVAST and not even going to think about updating.

CCleaner is a tool I use every day for managing restore points, cookies, cache and registry cleaning, secure deletion and disabling/enabling start up items. I've had issues with past versions of AVAST, the AvastUI in start up in particular and CCleaner helped identify and sort out that for me.

CCleaner is simply the most useful tool for doing this - try managing your restore points or basic start up items using Windows itself and there's no contest, CCleaner wins every time for convenience; it should be in everyone's PC software toolkit.

If you have to disable something in AVAST to get CCleaner to function fully again then it is AVAST's fault not Piriform's. What user wants to have to disable the AVAST SDM for any reason? I want an AV to do its job unobtrusively and that doesn't mean just providing protection it means doing that without interfering with the workings of other perfectly safe and widely used programs like CCleaner.       

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »
If you have to disable something in AVAST to get CCleaner to function fully again then it is AVAST's fault not Piriform's. 
1. I have never experienced any issue between avast and CCleaner and use both side by side.
2. On contrary of what you've said, it's CCleaner which is trying to "clean" avast! and not the opposite. CCleaner is trying to do more than it can do safely (for the user, for the computer, for the security).

My 0.02.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
If you have to disable something in AVAST to get CCleaner to function fully again then it is AVAST's fault not Piriform's. 
1. I have never experienced any issue between avast and CCleaner and use both side by side.
2. On contrary of what you've said, it's CCleaner which is trying to "clean" avast! and not the opposite. CCleaner is trying to do more than it can do safely (for the user, for the computer, for the security).

My 0.02.
I agree with Tech on this, CCleaner is sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong, the Avast boxes under CCleaners applications list should be unticked as with all security software listed in there ( WinPatrol, Malwarebytes, Defender, etc ) CCleaner have no business in these areas and should be removing those options imo.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
CCleaner have no business in these areas and should be removing those options imo.
Just to make it clear. If any other program could "change" or "mess" the antivirus files, well, security will be compromised.
On other hand, we can always complain and complain IF avast! is not doing a good job on housecleaning.
The best things in life are free.

olddog

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
.. CCleaner is sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong...

I'm sorry to disagree. The problem central to this thread has been clearly identified as Avast's self defense module protection extending beyond its own settings and impeding the functionality of other commercial software. This is clearly an issue that Avast should be addressing, and I would suggest, with some urgency.

reisender67

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm sorry to disagree. The problem central to this thread has been clearly identified as Avast's self defense module protection extending beyond its own settings and impeding the functionality of other commercial software. This is clearly an issue that Avast should be addressing, and I would suggest, with some urgency.

+1
blocked autostart entries or energy settings are a problem of Avast and not of CCleaner.

Greetings
Christian

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
Thanks for report. Next release/update will contain fix for this issue.