Author Topic: Avast 2014 blocks CCleaner functions on Win7-64 bit systems?  (Read 27629 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 2014 blocks CCleaner functions on Win7-64 bit systems?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
.. CCleaner is sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong...

I'm sorry to disagree. The problem central to this thread has been clearly identified as Avast's self defense module protection extending beyond its own settings and impeding the functionality of other commercial software. This is clearly an issue that Avast should be addressing, and I would suggest, with some urgency.
Sorry. I did not realize that. Thanks for the heads up olddog.
The best things in life are free.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
I'm interested in the comments here about the matter of CCleaner putting its nose into Avast when it's not wanted. With CCleaner you have a choice whether or not to include Avast. If getting rid of some , most likely, unnecessary logs which most people never see because by Avast puts them in folders Windows hides by default, then simply untick the Avast entries in the Applications > Utilities.

But the fact is CCleaner has always included Avast log cleaning by default and any other action it is capable of relating to Avast could be performed without issue until now. Avast's behaviour has apparently changed not CCleaner.   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:54:23 PM by Cluster-Lizard »

thekochs

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
I'm interested in the comments here about the matter of CCleaner putting its nose into Avast when it's not wanted. With CCleaner you have a choice whether or not to include Avast. If getting rid of some , most likely, unnecessary logs which most people never see because by Avast puts them in folders Windows hides by default, then simply untick the Avast entries in the Applications > Utilities.

But the fact is CCleaner has always included Avast log cleaning by default and any other action it is capable of relating to Avast could be performed without issue until now. Avast's behaviour has apparently changed not CCleaner.   

Is the issue that CCLeaner cannot get rid of logs or that people are trying to use the disable autoruns for STARTUP in TOOLS section of CCLeaner ?  If it is the autoruns why do people not just use MSCONFIG in the O/S ?....or a M/S util which is even better...just Google Microsoft Autoruns utility.
http://download.cnet.com/Autoruns/3000-2094_4-10744886.html

olddog

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »
Is the issue that CCLeaner cannot get rid of logs or that people are trying to use the disable autoruns for STARTUP in TOOLS section of CCLeaner ?  If it is the autoruns why do people not just use MSCONFIG in the O/S ?....or a M/S util which is even better...just Google Microsoft Autoruns utility.

The issue is that Avast self protection is preventing the enabling or disabling of some Startup items in CCleaner Tools section.
Yes, an alternative would be to use MSCONFIG, or Autoruns, but CCleaner is a legitimate program with a larger user base. Why should its users be forced to use an alternative because of the present poor coding of Avast. Avast have known about this problem for some time but have yet to remedy it. I suspect they would not appreciate such slow reaction if the boot was on the other foot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
Avast have known about this problem for some time but have yet to remedy it.
Well, I think it was acknowledged that it will be corrected in the next program upgrade...
The best things in life are free.

Nammy

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Don't know if you have solved this problem but the easy fix is simply to add CCleaner to your exclusion list in Avast.  It can be found in Settings - Antivirus.  Use the browse button to find your installation of CCleaner and then add it.  After having done this to my installation (Win 7 64bit), all the functions in CCleaner started to work normally.

Hope this helps.....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
CCleaner works on both my systems (win XP Pro and win7 32bit) without having any exclusion.

So is this a 64bit issue or probably you are having ccleaner clean avast elements ?
If you are having ccleaner clean avast elements (logs, etc.) then I would suggest that you leave them alone and allow avast to do its own housekeeping.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

propheticus

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »
It has nothing to do with the cleanup function! The Ccleaner page 'tools' -> 'startup' is a way to enable/disable/remove startup items (which can be seen in msconfig as well). It is a separate function that does not affect Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
It has nothing to do with the cleanup function! The Ccleaner page 'tools' -> 'startup' is a way to enable/disable/remove startup items (which can be seen in msconfig as well). It is a separate function that does not affect Avast.

It will if it is trying to remove an avast startup entry as the self-defence module will kick in. After all that is the purpose of the self-defence module to prevent unauthorised removal or disabling avast.

Unless you are saying that this permission/access is denied when you try to remove non-avast entries, but I don't see anyone stating which startup entries they are trying to remove.

I tested this on my XP Pro system on my dropbox startup entry, it allowed me to first of all disable a startup entry and then remove it completely. I got the cautionary CCleaner popup, but avast 9.0.2008 or the self defence module had any objection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

propheticus

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
If you actually read you'd see that even OTHER startup items are blocked, not only avast's entries. None of the processes can be deleted. THAT's the problem, not the self-defense. That's all good and well, and working as intended.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:42:29 PM by propheticus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
If you actually read you'd see that even OTHER startup items are blocked, not only avast's entries. None of the processes can be deleted. THAT's the problem, not the self-defense. That's all good and well, and working as intended.

That's why I ran the test myself and I was able to first disable and then delete without any input from avast, that is what is strange for me.

propheticus

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

Happens with some, but not all entries. I Was able to remove Evernote for instance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
<snip image>

Happens with some, but not all entries. I Was able to remove Evernote for instance.

That's the problem, the inconsistency of it, if this were truly avast blocking then wouldn't it be blocking all or none not just some.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
Thanks for report. Next release/update will contain fix for this issue.
@DavidR
Avast self defense is protecting all startup entries in HKML/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run
although it should protect only Avast startup reg key.
Not all startup entries are in HKML/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run and they can be disabled/deleted by CCleaner.
Personally,I don't have problems with Avast and CCleaner in Windows 7 x86.
It looks like Windows 7 x64 is affected by this bug.

reisender67

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
Avast self defense is protecting all startup entries in HKML/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run
although it should protect only Avast startup reg key.
Not all startup entries are in HKML/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run and they can be disabled/deleted by CCleaner.
Personally,I don't have problems with Avast and CCleaner in Windows 7 x86.
It looks like Windows 7 x64 is affected by this bug.

+1
see also my previous post in this thread

Greetings
Christian