Author Topic: Avast WebShield blocking websites/internet access  (Read 8048 times)

Lightstylez

Avast WebShield blocking websites/internet access
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Hey, today i have reinstalled windows 7 fresh install. one of the first things i installed was Avast free antivirus, i have used it for years before i got my new hardware and it worked fine.
But now all of a sudden webshield constantly blocks every website, apart from google. I have no idea why Google search still works, but it blocks every other website for around 1min to 10min.
If i disable webshield i get internet access immediately again. I'm not sure if this is to do with a new update. Hopefully it is, because this problem has come up in the past and the avast team have fixed it fast according to other posts in 2012 & early 2013
I searched around on Google and tried about 5 different fixes, none of them worked. Its not the browser either i have tried multiple browsers, webshield is definitely blocking all internet access for the most part.
I really do not want to switch to a different antivirus, i love avast. I just hope someone can help me with this issue, thanks.

I use latest version of Google chrome, windows 7 ultimate-64 bit, avast free antivirus, i also have a program called "Qualcomm Atheros Killer Network Manager" for my Killer e2200 ethernet on my mobo, all the program does though is increase your bandwidth in games. I have windows firewall enabled and tried adding every single .exe located in the avast folder to the firewall exceptions list and nothing.

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast WebShield blocking websites/internet access
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
Hey, today i have reinstalled windows 7 fresh install.
how did you reinstall?......from a microsoft CD....or a factory recovery CD/HD recovery partition?

if from a recovery, does this also include reinstall of  a factory installed antivirus?
if so, this must be uninstalled and run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict
tools found here  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Lightstylez

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »
Complete format of all drives and reinstalled from windows 7 disk, i then re-downloaded/installed avast and all other software straight from the websites from fresh.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:48:54 AM by Lightstylez »

w3etiki

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »
I'm having the exact same problem but I'm on Windows 8 x64 on a new system built from parts. If I disable webshield sometimes it can't be re-enabled, but whether Webshield can or cannot be turned on I regain access to other internet sites besides google.

I am also able to connect to most web service Apps such as steam/origin during the time that i cannot access any webpages. I wonder if it's something to do with my Qualcomm Atheros Killer Network Manager(this is the only ethernet port i have).

Any solution or help would be appreciated thanks.

pratikgwali2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
hi guys solved the problem of firewall/websheild blockin internet

first go to firewall

now go to application rules

go to avast software

find avast service (2 service potions are found )

change them from internet out to all connections ( change for both service options )

then check net connectoins again .

done