Author Topic: "Some Shields are Off" after updating and installing new (free) version  (Read 6188 times)

wmastin

Updated Avast and it installed 2014.9.0.2006.  I run windows 7 and use Chrome as a browser.  Computer was totally unresponsive, as was Avast which totally disappeared at one point and gave no indication it was updating.  After a complete afternoon (Yes, afternoon!!), many reboots, and much patience, I can now get online but still have the yellow exclamation mark saying I need attention "Some Shields are Off"  The resolve and turn on buttons are totally unresponsive.  What gives with this new version?  How do I fix this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: "Some Shields are Off" after updating and installing new (free) version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:46:45 AM »
try new clean install

Uninstall tool  http://www.avast.com/en-eu/uninstall-utility  run for all versions used
install file http://www.avast.com/en-eu/download-software

and you have removed any previous used AV....   http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:48:35 AM by Pondus »

wmastin

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »
I will try an uninstall and reinstall, although Avast has worked wonderfully for years on this machine.  Antivirus that came with the laptop was removed way back.  Wonder why this new version is causing issues?  I will post back to let you know if it works.

Offline savage2000wwe

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
I had the same problem but it is an easy fix.

Unfortunately, i have already switched back to the older version (for a different reason) so i no longer can go to the screens to tell you exactly what to do.

I will however go from memory in order to try and help you.

On the Avast home screen....there are about 4 or 5 options on the left hand side......go through each of those menu selections until you see that one of the browsers have been turned off, while all of the others are on.    You shouldn't have any trouble in finding it athough it may take you 2 or 3 minutes to find.

Once you turn it on manually, everything will be fine.

Paul

Offline savage2000wwe

"Some Shields are Off" after updating and installing new (free) version
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »
Apologies....I mean Shields (not browsers).

wmastin

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  I did manage to turn the shields back on, but something still wasn't right.  (This has been a bit of a nighmare.)  I eventually did manage to uninstall and reinstall the program which did solve my problem - all is presently operating fine.

Whatever happened was causing my browser to fail, computer to stall and freeze.  It took many restarts and task manager "end tasks"....no idea what the problem was, but am thankful all presently seems good!