Author Topic: Win32: Hantana and Win32: Trojan-Gen. {VC}  (Read 31158 times)

Seamus Warren

Win32: Hantana and Win32: Trojan-Gen. {VC}
« on: March 10, 2003, 06:17:25 AM »
Hello forum, :)

I just installed Avast for the first time and it already found some infected files. I was unable to repair the files so I chose to either delete them or quarantine them in the "Chest". :)

A bunch of other files were found to be corrupted and I am not sure what should be done about them.

Any commets or "tips" on any of this stuff would be welcome. I am pretty new to this. I can't seem to find a "repair" option in the "Chest". There is an "Extract" option. Is the "Extract" option a tool for extracting and eliminating the virus?

Thank you. :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Win32: Hantana and Win32: Trojan-Gen. {VC}
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 05:53:13 PM »
Seamus,

wow, scary pictures, but to the point:

A bunch of other files were found to be corrupted and I am not sure what should be done about them.

Probably just some archived (packed) files that can't be unpacked - not a big issue, most of the time.

There is an "Extract" option. Is the "Extract" option a tool for extracting and eliminating the virus?

Nope. 'Extract' just lets you export the file from the chest (like Restore, but to a different folder). If avast! can't "heal" these files (which it appearently can't in your case) - it just quarantines them to the chest. They are safe there. You don't have to worry about them - unless you need them.

BTW: Hantana is a dangerous virus spreading by means of Kazaa (you do use Kazaa, right?). The Trojan-Gen might be a false positive - to be sure, you can send the file to support@asw.cz (i.e. extract it from the chest and attach it to the mail).

Hope this helps,
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 05:59:42 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Seamus Warren

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 11:25:19 PM »

I wonder if Hantana is distrupting Windows Media Player becuause suddenly the audio has become garbled and I only clean installed Windows a few days ago.

Another virus called "Win32:Malware [Script]" was discovered last night.  :-\

Pavel Mourek

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 12:36:51 PM »
Win32:Hantaner virus infects all files in KaZaA download folder and the Internet Explorer default download folder. I don't think Hantaner virus can affect Media Player this way. But maybe you are playing corrupted files downloaded by KaZaA.

Seamus Warren

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 02:30:25 PM »
It appears that Quicktime 6 was the problem. I uninstalled Quicktime and the audio files are playing good now. The problem is that I need at least Quicktime 5 for a program called Mojoworld. Anyway, this is off-topic I suppose.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 10:25:46 PM »
I think it is time to say: Be  a bit more carefully with the use of Kazaa. ;)
BTW:Do you use Kazaalight?
MfG Ralf

Seamus Warren

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 01:42:42 AM »
Umm...I'd have to say "no" to that. ;)

<nudge nudge, wink wink>

nunyafb

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 04:04:23 AM »
The hantana virus is also in Grokster. My daughter got it using grokster.  :o

hagan

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 04:28:42 AM »
what is the win32/hantaner virus?  i have been trying to get a game from kazaa.  every time i get it, i run avg before opening it, and this virus is always detected.  i am really careful to run the anti virus program before opening anything from kazaa because i got the trogan virus through it.  luckily, i found a way to get rid of it.  i have never heard of hantaner and wondered what kind of virus it was.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 10:01:16 AM »
what is the win32/hantaner virus?

Well - it's a -- virus... :)

It is also called "Handy" by some AV vendors (Symantec, for example).
Unfortunately, I don't have any further information about this virus available here, but a simple Google search for the phrase "hantaner virus" returns about 8,880 matches, and most of them are really relevant... ;)

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 10:22:24 AM »
Or take a look at this site:
http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/vgrep.cgi?terms=Win32.HLLP.Hantaner&product=0

So you can see how other AV-Companies name that Virus and it brings you to there site with a description of that Virus

[EDIT: You need to copy the Whole link-line. Otherwise it eould not function
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 10:24:17 AM by raman »
MfG Ralf