Author Topic: Avast Internet Security - very slow Firefox startup process  (Read 2729 times)

molcanyi

Avast Internet Security - very slow Firefox startup process
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Hello,
after last update of my Avast IS (current version 2014.0.9.2008) the application started to cause problems with my Firefox (version 25.0.1). Immediately after the update the effect was there. When I click on Firefox icon to open the browser, it takes app. 15 seconds to open. It takes every time so long when I open new window.

After I deactivated avast, the browser opens up within a second. It is pretty frustrating and it is obvious the new version is causing the slowness. Can anyone explain to me where the problem is and how to resolve it?

Thank you in advanced.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Internet Security - very slow Firefox startup process
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »
Firefox from a cold start has always been slow for me, around 13 seconds and it has been that way for some considerable time.

It also depends on when you start firefox, if done soon after boot it is going to suffer with other programs also loading on book, the avast auto update check, etc. etc. Load firefox a little later and it loads quicker, but I have never seen it load in 1 second, mainly because I wouldn't disable avast whilst the browser would be loading those tabs, etc.

Firefox uses huge amounts of CPU and RAM on startup, that in itself is going to have avast scan firefox files being loaded and activity, number of add-ons and tabs you have load on start. I have in excess of 30 add-ons and 10 tabs that are loaded (though that isn't included in the firefox loaded and started).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
Re: Avast Internet Security - very slow Firefox startup process
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
hello molcanyi,

i dumped firefox a while back because of slow start and massive system resource usage. i find firefox too sloe, especially on older systems like my vista.

skinnypops
new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer