Author Topic: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497  (Read 26393 times)

dprout69

Reverting Back to 8.0.1497
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
After having installed 2014 yesterday and using it for a while, I simply don't like it.  I don't like the GUI overall, lack of ad blocker, lack of real time monitor monitors (and I have no clue why everything was rolled up into three), don't like that I cannot resize the main window, don't like that I can't see more than 2 scans in scan history without scrolling, don't like that many options are hidden and that I have to guess which arrow to expand to find something, don't like... well I simply don't like a lot of things... Avast you make a fabulous product and I'm sure you'll fix a lot of this eventually, but I digress...

For now, I plan on reverting back to 8.0.1497.  Has anyone done this yet?  Is it best to do an uninstall and then clean install, or can I just install the old version on top of the new one?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:28:34 PM by dprout69 »

Offline Dynaheir

Re: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
After having installed 2014 yesterday and using it for a while, I simply don't like it.  I don't like the GUI overall, lack of ad blocker, lack of real time monitor monitors (and I have no clue why everything was rolled up into three), don't like that I cannot resize the main window, don't like that I can't see more than 2 scans in scan history without scrolling, don't like that many options are hidden and that I have to guess which arrow to expand to find something, don't like... well I simply don't like a lot of things... Avast you make a fabulous product and I'm sure you'll fix a lot of this eventually, but I digress...

For now, I plan on reverting back to 8.0.1497.  Has anyone does this yet?  Is it best to do an uninstall and then clean install, or can I just install the old version on top of the new one?

I would recommend you the first option. Use avast unistall utility for each version you have run on your pc so far and then make fresh instal of 8.0.1497

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
The window that displays the scan logs is resizeable (Statistics - Component Status - Scans have been executed), it shows all my scan logs in the recent avast 2014 time frame, no scrolling required.

If you are prepared to spend a little time in reconnaissance, just looking at the various areas in the UI, it isn't that difficult to find where things are, certainly not much different had you gone from avast 7's UI to avast 8, that was a similar issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jpChris

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »
Hi dprout69,

I uninstalled v.9 and went back to v.8, also. I didn't like it either. Even after running the Avast Uninstaller and going through the registry and reinstalling, I kept getting hangups and I couldn't get on the web through either one of my two browsers.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
If you are basing your protection on a few minor issues I think you are not giving v2014 a fair chance.
With all of the new technologies I find it extremely difficult to "not" like v2014.
Yes, It took me a few hours to get use to the new GUI but since then I have found it quite easy
to navigate and use. IMHO v2014 is the best version avast has ever released. There are a few things/changes
I would have liked to see but overall I like this. It always takes a little time getting use to change but these
changes are for the better.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
I agree with Para-Noid. Avast 2014 should be given a fair chance and yes and always getting to know and use new version takes time and hour to use. Just need to play around with the new user interface and it's settings and in no time it will make it easy for us to know where settings and other functions are at? It took me 2-3 hours to get to know it's user interface lol  :). As a security and threats point of view and the way I think is that malware always evolve into many new forms of malware so new security and functions should be made  :)
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

dprout69

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Hi dprout69,

I uninstalled v.9 and went back to v.8, also. I didn't like it either. Even after running the Avast Uninstaller and going through the registry and reinstalling, I kept getting hangups and I couldn't get on the web through either one of my two browsers.

I'm glad I decided to wait then... sorry you had to bite the bullet.  I may just leave it alone then simply because I know uninstalling anti virus can be hazardous to your sanity.

dprout69

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
If you are basing your protection on a few minor issues I think you are not giving v2014 a fair chance.
With all of the new technologies I find it extremely difficult to "not" like v2014.
Yes, It took me a few hours to get use to the new GUI but since then I have found it quite easy
to navigate and use. IMHO v2014 is the best version avast has ever released. There are a few things/changes
I would have liked to see but overall I like this. It always takes a little time getting use to change but these
changes are for the better.  :)

I gave it a fair chance and used it for a day before I posted this and even left it until now as I was going to do it this weekend.  Simply put, I have no clue whatsoever why everyone is intent on forcing a windows 8 format down everyone's throat.  The majority do not like it.  The PC consumer market has already shown that... the block tile interface failed on windows phone, fails on tablets and has failed on the desktop market, as shown by the sales, but everyone keeps trying to make their platforms into that same design even though a simple search on the internet proves that it is filled with people that hate it.  Windows 8 is nothing but wasted real estate on every screen, scrolling to get to anything and very fisher price and childish in appearance.  Look at your component status screen as a perfect example.

Like I said... you guys make a fantastic product.  Been with you for years and this certainly is not going to drive me away.  However, you can tell by the reaction on the boards that many people do not like windows 8 and do not like the windows 8 GUI with which you are choosing to use.  Whether or not you decide to change it is ultimately up to you but are you trying to roll out a product that people love or a product that eh... they'll just get used to it and deal with it?

joulesbeef

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »
Can i get a link to the older version? I'd love to revert back rather than just uninstall.
The new avast wont let me install absolutely anything. Even stuff it previously scanned as clean and had previously installed.
All installations hang until i disable avast for an hour. Well since the update.
I would love to revert but never saved the old download.

derp never mind found old version at filehippo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:25:13 AM by joulesbeef »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 01:11:11 AM »
Have/did you change any of the default settings ?
This sounds more like the Hardened Mode has been enabled (off by default) and it may have been set to aggressive, this could have an adverse effect.

Why won't it let you install anything, e.g. what errors or alerts are displayed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jpChris

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 04:53:06 AM »
Hi joulesbeef,

If you installed v.9, then you must run the Avast uninstaller (avastclear.exe)
from safe mode first:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility   

After you've run it, reboot and go to: http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php
and scroll down a little and you'll see Avast v. 8.0.1489. The one above it is 1497, which was pointed out to me, is actually v.9

Download, install and you're set. I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:15:32 AM by jpChris »

Comme ci comme ça

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
I've got  Avast Internet Security ( and I paid for it ). In one month my license is over.

I LIKE Version 8.0.1497. I have been using version 9 for two days........ and I find it really ugly. Can't be avast improved without changing everything of the place it was?.

Now I'm with v. 8.0.1497 again and really dont know what to do. I'd like to continue with Avast but if the future of Avast is like v.9 .....     :( 

Avast or another one ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »
@ Comme ci comme ça
I have never chosen aesthetics over protection, do I like the avast 9 UI, not very much, the home screen that isn't resizeable and is too damn big, the statistics screen is even bloody bigger and can't be resized. I'm not too enamoured with the flat look and colours (free version too white/light (this was even worse in avast 8 free).

But would I go back to 8.0, absolutely not, I probably spend a lot more time in the UI than most users, through helping out in the forums, taking screenshots of areas of the UI. Most users spend very little time overall in the UI as avast on default settings is fine for the average user, so not much need to go into the UI to tweak lots of settings.

madmax25

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »
@jpChris

The "Avast v. 8.0.1497" offered on the page you mentioned is not v. 8.0.1497.
Instead it's the new version, too.

I wanted to go back to v. 8.0.1497 (on XP Home SP3), too, but I cannot find the setup of that version.

DeepScreen doesn't work. In fact, it's annoying me terribly.
Many exe's are checked again and again, even after telling me they were ok.
But the major problem is, it keeps the taskplaner of XP from starting tasks that used to be working fine.

Please somebody tell me where to find the setup file for the previous Avast v. 8.0.1497.

jpChris

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
@ madmax25,

You are correct. The version that was supposed to be 8.0.1497 IS version 9.

When I downloaded my copy I clicked on version 8.0.1489, not 1497.

Thank you for pointing out my error; I'll change\edit my post if I can, and point it to 1489.