Author Topic: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497  (Read 26389 times)

madmax25

Re: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
Meanwhile, I found the wanted v. 8.0.1497 here.
That one is, what it's supposed to be.
At least, that version does what I want it to do.
Now the only problem is, it makes my computer slower than 2014.
Especially the context menu of everything takes ages to appear.
2014 is faster, but that doesn't make any sense, if it doesn't do what you want it to.

The speed of 2014, but the features of v8.0.1497, that would be the perfect version.

Btw. I found another bug in 2014.
In Firefox 24.0.1, on XP Home SP3, the icon for the Online Security feature cannot be moved to another position permanently.
To be more accurate, I can move it, but after closing and restarting FF, it's almost in the upper right corner again, where I don't like it to be. I prefer it to be next to the left edge of the adress bar.

I'm back on v8.0.1497, now, until the disappointing 2014 has been updated and fixed (hopefully soon!) and an improved version has been released.

wiwww

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »
>> But the major problem is, it keeps the taskplaner of XP from starting tasks that used to be working fine.

I'm on Windows XP. Yes! Workaround is to wait long enough at the windows logon prompt. Then autoruns and registry (.../Run) autoruns start normally.

THE MAJOR (sorry for cap) problem is that - if you did not wait on startup for avast and autoruns to start - windows won't shutdown. "Saving settins" screen hangs forever.

Reverting.

kluless

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
I'm having the same problem on XP Home SP3, even after 10 minutes my firewall still hasn't started, then Windows won't shut down.

During login there's a popup from Avast asking me to report a problem, but when I click on it a message flashes saying Outlook Express isn't my default mail program.

madmax25

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
@ wiwww
Sorry, that's not my point.
I'm not talking about the startup or autorun.
I'm talking about the taskplaner!
I created tasks, supposed to be running some time during the day,
when the system has been booted long ago,
i.e. I've booted my system in the morning and these tasks are running in the afternoon.
Well, they should, but many of them fail.
So, it's very unlikely something within the booting procedure is affected or causing this.
I, as well, created some tasks running after booting my system,
but I already added a sufficient delay to be sure the booting procedure is complete,
before any of these tasks would start.
Still these tasks fail.
They did not with the previous Avast version. Instead, they used to work great back then.

Let me add, I'm not using the Windows logon prompt, since I'm the only user of my system.
You talking about a workaround?
Isn't it funny, if anything goes wrong, it's "always" the user's fault, "never" the one of the product!
What every user wants is a flawlessly working product, and not having to deal with whatever workarounds.
As soon as it comes to any "workarounds", there's something wrong with the product, not with the user or his system.

Avast up to v. 8.x.x was great, but v.2014 is not, sorry!
Well, the last one if v. 8.x.x wasn't exactly fast, but at least it did work, except for the certificate issue with Thunderbird.

@ kluless
Many times, after updating to v.2014, my XP Home SP3 system didn't shut down either.
Then, I was forced to shut it down "the hard way", i.e. by pressing the power button for a few seconds.

Now, I will give it a chance for one more day.
If anything is failing again by then, I will definitely go back to v8.0.1497, until v.2014 will get to a true "final version" state.

EDIT:
I have to add one more thing.
Looks like the coders of Avast have forgotten netbook users, because the last installation window,
the one right after rebooting is too big for the 1024x600 screens.
Therefore, on these devices it's hard to reach the button below to finish the installation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:14:36 PM by madmax25 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 11:25:36 PM »
<snip>
EDIT:
I have to add one more thing.
Looks like the coders of Avast have forgotten netbook users, because the last installation window,
the one right after rebooting is too big for the 1024x600 screens.
Therefore, on these devices it's hard to reach the button below to finish the installation.

Whilst this isn't ideal, I had to do this on my Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit) 10.1", 1024X600 screen.

I dragged the task bar over to the left side that gave more top to bottom space, then you can use the Tab key and watch out for the focus changing in the fields, having unchecked the chrome options. You should be able to see the two chrome boxes, tab until you see the focus change to that box 1. again should move into box 2. the next tab would take you to the first of the google (terms of use) box 3. then the second one (privacy policy) box 4. finally the tab would take you what is the unseen Continue button (5.) now you should be able to click the Enter key.

That should complete the process. A pain in the rear yes but at least you should be able to complete the process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jpChris

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
Hi madmax25,

The "latest" version of Avast is 8.0.1497 (2014 - I think). The one before is 8.0.1489.

Get it here: http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Scroll down to 8.0.1489
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:01:13 AM by jpChris »

g0dsends

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
i havent seen a virus definition update in 4 days for avast 2014 and even checked

dprout69

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »
i havent seen a virus definition update in 4 days for avast 2014 and even checked

Mine at least updates... latest definition is 131019-1

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »

Mine at least updates... latest definition is 131019-1
Do not worry... is with me like that. ;)

TerraX
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Comme ci comme ça

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »
It's more that wait a few days till all is ok. It is "forget all you know about avast, it's time to re-learn all".
Some people will like it. I don't.  I'd like to spend my time learning other programs that sure many people think it is a stupid idea to waste a second with them.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
I don't see why it's hard to relearn, you just give a moment of time to check menus and lists to see where everything is and what you need as a user, I only updated to 9 yesterday and I'm fairly familiar with where everything I knew before was.  I can understand people not liking things though, the interface isn't as approachable as before then again I remember feeling the same between 7 and 8 but got used to it at the time I suppose XD.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
It's more that wait a few days till all is ok. It is "forget all you know about avast, it's time to re-learn all".
Some people will like it. I don't.  I'd like to spend my time learning other programs that sure many people think it is a stupid idea to waste a second with them.
it took me a few minutes to accomodate to the new UI. However I'd like to hear more details about your problems. What are the actions that you'll have to re-learn ? Name as much as possible actions that you cannot find anymore please
Quality is also a feature.

Maitre

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »
It's the first time all these years i use avast that i had to unistall it and make an account to this forum to complain about.
This new version with UGLY FLAT, Win8 like, GUI simply hurts my eyes. I stand it less that 15 mins. The first thing i searched was if there is an option to have old menu style back and after i didn't find i simply there was no way to use avast with that GUI so i reinstall for now the good old Avast 8.0.1497
Respect the 90% of users that don't use Windows 8 and give us an option to have a choise what GUI we can use. I refuse to use that flat interface and i'll be stack to windows 7 till M$ stops to support them.
That ugly GUI is the main reason that many people don't upgrade to Win8.
Till now i'll stay with 8.0.1497 and hope that avast team give us that optios so i stay with avst and don't start looking for other untivirus program.

psikofunkster

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »
It's the first time all these years i use avast that i had to unistall it and make an account to this forum to complain about.
This new version with UGLY FLAT, Win8 like, GUI simply hurts my eyes. I stand it less that 15 mins. The first thing i searched was if there is an option to have old menu style back and after i didn't find i simply there was no way to use avast with that GUI so i reinstall for now the good old Avast 8.0.1497
Respect the 90% of users that don't use Windows 8 and give us an option to have a choise what GUI we can use. I refuse to use that flat interface and i'll be stack to windows 7 till M$ stops to support them.
That ugly GUI is the main reason that many people don't upgrade to Win8.
Till now i'll stay with 8.0.1497 and hope that avast team give us that optios so i stay with avst and don't start looking for other untivirus program.

i would say the second reason or maybe the first one too is the lack of the start button and the double interface.
I don't like the new avast interface either but you have to face it the last windows OS version is windows 8.1 not 7.

Cyd

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Thanks to this forum I was able to revert to the "old" version. When I updated Avast on my netbook, I thought the program mistook the netbook for a phone because the "new" Avast was so different, seemed to have many fewer features, and makes it almost impossible to find some features and settings--and I suspect some simply do not exist in the new version. At least I never found them. Like, the ability to turn off streaming updates, and only 3 shields instead of the previous 8.

Anyway, I successfully reverted and do not plan to update to 2014 until they fix it and make it usable and understandable. And, I have been using Avast since the days when you could choose of multiple "skins." This "skin" doesn't cut it, IMO.

Please fix it, Avast people. Thanks.