Author Topic: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497  (Read 26403 times)

clayusmcret

Re: Reverting Back to 8.0.1497
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
The help desk sent me a fix to the version 9 browser freeze.  Now my only concern is how less secure am I (to make this work) than I was in 8.0.1497?  Here's the fix they gave me.

try this uninstall the Browser protection feature, kindly follow these steps:

1) Go to Add/Remove programs control panel
2) Select "avast! Antivirus" from the list of installed application
3) Click UNINSTALL/CHANGE
4) In the "Change" untick the checkbox beside "Browser protection"
5) Finish the process and restart your computer

WALLONN7

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
1.  It's gotta be somewhat about the interface because A LOT of people on here have complained... so it isn't irrelevant.

+1

2.  I had zero problems when I switched from 7 to 8... zero.  I have found more bugs on 9 then I care to admit.

Neither do I.

ButttonsMom2003

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
@clayusmcret - after several hours (and before I found your post on the forum) I finally figured out the the Avast plugin for Firefox was causing all of the problems I was having - specifically with Facebook.  My concern now is that I no longer have the browser protection, which has saved me in the past.

I also have a major issue with the firewall blocking access to a computer in my home group; one out of three isn't reachable with the Avast firewall turned on.  I've tried making all of the setting agree and still can't get access to the one PC without turning the firewall off.  :-(

I, too, wish there was some easy way to go back to the previous version.  I have a paid subscription that's good for another year or so, so I guess I'll stick with it and see what happens.  If the problems aren't fixed I just won't renew.  I'm currently not recommending Avast to users looking for a free, or paid, AV program.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
@clayusmcret - after several hours (and before I found your post on the forum) I finally figured out the the Avast plugin for Firefox was causing all of the problems I was having - specifically with Facebook.  My concern now is that I no longer have the browser protection, which has saved me in the past.

I also have a major issue with the firewall blocking access to a computer in my home group; one out of three isn't reachable with the Avast firewall turned on.  I've tried making all of the setting agree and still can't get access to the one PC without turning the firewall off.  :-(

I, too, wish there was some easy way to go back to the previous version.  I have a paid subscription that's good for another year or so, so I guess I'll stick with it and see what happens.  If the problems aren't fixed I just won't renew.  I'm currently not recommending Avast to users looking for a free, or paid, AV program.
Well, could be either the default settings within Avast! Online Security or user modified (enable all) settings are interfering.

Ad Tracking when enabled is known to cause video streaming issues on certain specific sites that require adverts to run video streaming properly.  Disabling it for only those sites that require adverts be allowed fixes the vid streaming issue on that site.  Maybe something similar for other tracking categories for Firefox and those specific sites?  Try disabling one category at a time and see what happens.

When you leave that site, you can re-enable the Ad Tracking feature.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
<snip>

You still have the full protection of the Web Shield (now combining the Network and Script Shields), that is unchanged.

The old WebRep didn't provide protection that only reputation information based on avast user feedback.

The new avast! Online security add-on has additional functionality over the WebRep, but the Web Shield is still the main web browsing protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security