Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears  (Read 57557 times)

Dewg

Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
We're on Avast 8.  We just updated a few machines to Windows 8.1 Pro (through the Store upgrade process) that was released today.  However, after the entire process is finished, Avast is gone.  It's completely removed from the system.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is Avast 8 not compatible and Windows 8.1 removes it automatically as a precaution?

Dewg

Re: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
Even worse - if you have AEA push out Avast 8.0.1490 to a Windows 8.1 machine, it installs but comes up with compatibility errors.  The next restart will blue-screen and you can't be back into Windows.

DO NOT INSTALL 8.0.1490 on Windows 8.1

nannunannu

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  You've saved us some trouble for sure.  :)

Team avast!:  Please comment.

wpn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
Did you run the actual Win8 or a preview version of 8.1?

If you're upgrading from Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows RT, Windows 8.1 Preview, Windows 8.1 Pro Preview or Windows RT 8.1 Preview, the process is basically the same: You launch the Upgrade installer from Windows Store, run the installer while the PC or device is offline, reboot a few times, and then emerge with the OS upgraded. Here's a visual guide to this process.

Note: The only major difference between these installs, aside from the installer download size, is that those with Windows 8.1 or RT 8.1 Preview will need to reinstall all of their Metro-style apps and desktop applications when the upgrade is complete.

Nicob

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Having uploaded and installed the new version of avast internet security I still have same problem it gives error message, won't uninstall and next restart locks me out of windows with no keyboard. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:22:45 PM by Nicob »

gwing

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
I too have completed the online upgrade from 8.0 pro to 8.1 and the avast free antivirus was knocked out having reinstalled the latest version avast free - it all functions ok apart from the browser is reporting that all the avast addon`s are incompatible

Name                avast! Online Security
Publisher           AVAST Software a.s.
Status              Incompatible
Architecture        32-bit
Load time           0.01 s
Navigation time     0.00 s

Architecture        64-bit

Architecture        32-bit
Load time           0.01 s
Navigation time     0.00 s

Architecture        64-bit

Is this avast or IE11 - disappointing

Offline wbtech

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
It's an IE11 issue. I have fully updated Microsoft Office 2013 plugins that are showing incompatibility as well. They must have significantly changed IE's compatibility requirements.

What's strange is that I've been able to deploy Avast to my 64-bit machines, but my 32-bit clients fail.

giomar97

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
Hello
I have version 8.0.1490 Protecrion End Point. After upgrade to Windows 8.1. Avast is uninstalled. I reinstalled Avast but is reported compatibility problem and after restarting Windows must be repair. Can anyone help me?

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Hi,
I suggest you to try to install the avast 9.0.2006 (unmanaged)
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (if you haven't bought the avast FW)
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe (if you have bought the avast FW)
Probably, you can insert the license file without problem. (I've tryed successfully in past)
until there's a fix from avast to this.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:20:55 PM by giogio »
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

giomar97

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
I tried to install Internet security but I get the message The license for this product is not valid

Dewg

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
Of course we can install the unmanaged Avast, or even the new Avast 2014 - but we're using AEA server and pushing out installs.  We need a new AEA console version and client version that works with Windows 8.1

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 01:39:29 AM »
To get browser plugins to work in the new IE11, you have to turn off the Enhanced Protection mode that is now enabled by default.

giomar97

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
Hi,
I suggest you to try to install the avast 9.0.2006 (unmanaged)
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (if you haven't bought the avast FW)
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe (if you have bought the avast FW)
Probably, you can insert the license file without problem. (I've tryed successfully in past)
until there's a fix from avast to this.

I tried to install Internet security but I get the message The license for this product is not valid. How do I do now? Besides, we are retailers. I have to find a solution for our customers

Offline hillen

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
What really frustrates me is Awil is silent on this issue. We purchased a business product and our business relies on it and they remain silent. While deploying Windows 8.1 will take time, those of us responsible for determining that time frame are at risk due to incompatible/non functioning anti-virus protection. So the simple question to AWIL is not how do we work around this issue, how are you going to fix it and when? That's really all I care about.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
The problem is NOT avast, but the 8.1 update from Microsoft.
Microsoft is the one who should solve things.

It is not Alwill, but Avast for many years now.
And Avast is not silent about it as you can see in many other threads.

And the 8.1 update is not only messing up avast but also many other softwares.
I even have seen it removing Windows Media Player :-)

The only thing that can be done is using Windows 8 and NOT 8.1 till Microsoft have fixed the bugs in the update.