Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears  (Read 57689 times)

nannunannu

Re: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
And Avast is not silent about it as you can see in many other threads.

Examples?  I see nothing else in here to support the business customers???

Offline hillen

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
I thought I had missed something as far as Business Support goes, but it appears I am not. I am not buying this product from Microsoft, I am buying it from Awil so I will look to Awil for answers to fix it.

It is easy for you to simply state stay with 8 until Microsoft fixes 8.1, but that is naive at best. Our company has supported Awil from the early Window NT SP3 days, so we are not new to this.

So with that said, is ANYONE at Awil going to address the BUSINESS SUITES incompatibility with Windows 8.1? Yes. no? I do not need an end user telling me it is someone else's fault, that is worthless to me.

Offline hillen

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
Also I do not care if they changed their business name to Avast -- that is not my problem at hand.

Offline hillen

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
Lastly, I was just notified by our AVAST re-seller they are having a hard time getting our license renewal processed as AVAST is in the middle of switching back end systems and cannot handle the request at this time -- so it looks like this whole issue is moot as they appear to not be able to support our renewal request anyway. Pity.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
As I said it is not a problem with avast but with the 8.1 update Microsoft rolled out.
Microsoft has messed up severely, hence why they removed the update in a real hurry just after 1 day after releasing it.
Avast is not responsible for screw-ups from Microsoft.
You should direct your complains to MS.

Offline hillen

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
Your argument still does not fly. Every other piece of software I run is still running without issue after update. Not matter who's problem you claim it to be, one would assume AVAST would make it know the problem lies with Microsoft so update at your own risk of injury.

I hear nothing but crickets.

Lastly, the next time I buy a tire and it blows up I will complain to the car manufacture.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
Lastly, the next time I buy a tire and it blows up I will complain to the car manufacture.
That is exactly what you are doing here.

As I said before, avast is not responsible for updates (buggy or not) from MS. Only MS is.

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
As I said it is not a problem with avast but with the 8.1 update Microsoft rolled out.
Microsoft has messed up severely, hence why they removed the update in a real hurry just after 1 day after releasing it.
Avast is not responsible for screw-ups from Microsoft.
You should direct your complains to MS.
Yes there are problems with some software getting broken by the 8.1 update but MS has not removed it. Only the Windows 8 RT update was removed. Businesses would not be running RT.

Dewg

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
I think the issue is that Avast has solved the problem already with the Free/Pro version.  According to forum posts, build 8.0.1497 works with Windows 8.1.  However, the current release of the Business products is 8.0.1490.  The Free/Pro has moved onto Avast 2014 (v9.0), which also seems to work fine with Windows 8.1.

I know that the business products are slow to release, as they need to be the most stable versions.  I would hope that Avast releases a minor business upgrade to a later build of 8.0 that works with Windows 8.1 - hopefully soon - to support those businesses planning to upgrade their Windows 8 workstations.  Then later we can see the v9 upgrade, once it's completely stable.

Offline hillen

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
So let me get this straight -- every other piece of business software I currently run works like a champ but Avast Business Suite and it's MS's fault?

Please show me where MS pulled the 8.1 update. They pulled the RT 8.1, but what does that have to do with my issue? What does that have to do with Avast? If AVAST has patched their other products to work with 8.1 ( indicating they know it didn't work ) then how in the ^$%% is that MS's fault?

You seem to fail to understand the logic in the tire/manufacturer illustration. The tire is AVAST and the car manufacture is MS. Why would I complain to the car manufacture that an improperly built tire blew up on their vehicle?

Once again I do not need to hear from an end user, I need to hear from AVAST and all I hear is crickets.

nannunannu

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
I think the issue is that Avast has solved the problem already with the Free/Pro version.  According to forum posts, build 8.0.1497 works with Windows 8.1.  However, the current release of the Business products is 8.0.1490.  The Free/Pro has moved onto Avast 2014 (v9.0), which also seems to work fine with Windows 8.1.

I know that the business products are slow to release, as they need to be the most stable versions.  I would hope that Avast releases a minor business upgrade to a later build of 8.0 that works with Windows 8.1 - hopefully soon - to support those businesses planning to upgrade their Windows 8 workstations.  Then later we can see the v9 upgrade, once it's completely stable.

This is absolutely the issue...  It is painfully clear that the Pro version is the priority.

...and for the last time:  Microsoft doesn't say that their software runs with Avast!, Avast! says that their software runs with Microsoft.  So long as that is how this industry works, it is up to the (keeping with the rather ironic analogy - look up the old joke about Detroit making PC's) tire makers to get their hands on the pre-release code that is made available to them, and TEST, and fix... IN ANTICIPATION OF THE NEXT VEHICLE LAUNCH.  Anything else is a disservice to the paying customer.

Edit:  Can't really truthfully say the "last time" - since I keep encountering backwards logic on the internet.  :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:13:40 PM by nannunannu »

Dewg

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »
Here is the compatibility site for Windows. Search for "Avast":

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compatibility/compatcenter/home

Offline hillen

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
At least some get it -- thank you. All I want to do is my job, which is to support my company and if that means 8.1 is in the possible future, I need to deal with it. Since I invested my trust, time and money in AVAST, then I expect a certain amount of support and when I hear nothing but crickets, that is unacceptable.

As I stated in a earlier post -- this is a moot issue as ( now two ) vendors seem unable to get me a renewal quote and our license runs out 11-2. With that said and as a company that has used AVAST since the Windows NT days, I will now bit AVAST farewell.

Wish you all the best of luck.
Paul

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
the compatibility site for Windows isn't up-to-date. If it was, avast 2014 would be mentioned but it isn't.

nannunannu

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »
Here is the compatibility site for Windows. Search for "Avast":

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compatibility/compatcenter/home

not sure if that was a general conversation, or in regards to my comments...  If the later, the license agreement for the antimalware API license agreement from Microsoft makes the relationship really clear.  While mutually beneficial, it's Microsoft's sandbox, others just choose to play in it and keeping up with changes is part of that game.

3. COMPANY OBLIGATIONS.
3.1 Company’s Relationship with End Users. Company is solely responsible for all interactions with End Users with respect to Company’s Antimalware Products. Company will not make any representations, warranties, or promises to End Users regarding any Microsoft product, and will not represent to End Users that Microsoft endorse the performance of Company’s Antimalware Products.

3.2 Support for Company’s Antimalware Products. Company is solely responsible for all support issues related to Company’s Antimalware Products and ensuring continued compliance with the requirements in Exhibit B. If any End User contacts Microsoft concerning Company’s Antimalware Products, Microsoft may refer such End User to Company for assistance.

3.3 Confidentiality. Company shall at all times maintain the confidentiality of the terms of this Agreement and the Antimalware API licensed hereunder. Any feedback the Company provides to Microsoft related to the Antimalware API shall be provided without charge. Company grants Microsoft a non-exclusive license to make, use, modify, distribute, sublicense, and otherwise commercialize the feedback as part of any Microsoft offering.

3.4 Additional Company Obligations. In addition to the terms of this Agreement, Company must meet the additional requirements described in Exhibit B of this Agreement. Microsoft may update the Antimalware API in Exhibit A and the requirements described in Exhibit B from time to time. In the event of such update, Microsoft will provide Company with reasonable notice, and Company agrees to use commercially reasonable efforts to (i) cease using the old Antimalware API and move to the updated Antimalware API, and (ii) update Company’s Antimalware Software to comply with the updated requirements in Exhibit B. Microsoft will provide at least 180 days’ notice to Company of any changes to Exhibit B before those changes take effect. To the extent Company is unable to comply with the obligations in this Section 3.4 due to the Antimalware API failing to operate as documented, such noncompliance will not be deemed a breach of this Agreement as long as Company takes reasonable efforts to comply promptly once the Antimalware API does function as documented.

Edit:  Guess I should point out that the terms of that agreement came from a google search, I don't have an executed agreement with them that would govern confidentiality of this post contents.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:04:00 PM by nannunannu »