Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears  (Read 57552 times)

Dewg

Re: Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Avast disappears
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
The only consolation prize is that Windows 8.1 installs and activates Windows Defender after the upgrade. At least the machine isn't unprotected. And from what I'm reading about Windows Defender, it appears to be excellent with known viruses. It just doesn't do well with zero day attacks.

Dch48

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »
The only consolation prize is that Windows 8.1 installs and activates Windows Defender after the upgrade. At least the machine isn't unprotected. And from what I'm reading about Windows Defender, it appears to be excellent with known viruses. It just doesn't do well with zero day attacks.
I think that's an accurate assessment of Defender but confirms that you really should use something better.

nickwells

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
As we have been advised to install the free version on our business machines while we wait for an upgrade to the business suite,
I assume that Avast are relaxing the T&C of the free version where it explicitly states it should be used in non commercial environments only.

nannunannu

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
we have been advised to install the free version on our business machines while we wait for an upgrade to the business suite,

Really?  :(

By Avast! directly, or by a reseller?

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.

Radiam

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
I also am disappointed by this outcome. 

Long time supporter of Avast, had been running a number of free versions at home but decided to play around with server 2012 and so thought I'd support Avast financially and signed up to a 3 year 5 license deal that also covered the server.

I burnt hours with windows 8.1 blue screens because of avast and am now running the free version no my 8.1 machine because the *paid for* business version is incompatible.  I am sorry for being so negative on my first post, but I am terribly disappointed with the outcome and the lack of meaningful response from Avast on this.

blackonblack

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
I read on Avast's website that their Internet Security 2014 was win 8.1 compatible so I upgraded to WIN 8.1.  What a mistake.
At first the install was successful but Windows immediately told me that Avast was not compatible with this version of Windows.
I played around for a bit and set up my picture password and then rebooted my PC.  At this point, my keyboard (wireless USB, wired USB, and PS2) would not work in win 8.1.  My picture password wouldn't work in most cases.  Fortunately after 20 tries the picture password worked.  Even trying to use the typed password was impossible as the on-screen keyboard would not come up.
Not knowing that the keyboard issue was related to Avast, I spend hours trying to figure it out and actually gave up and decided to work on the Avast issue Windows warned me about.  To my surprise when I uninstalled Avast and rebooted my computer worked perfectly.

I am a long time user and proponent of Avast (with a paid subscription I can't use right now BTW) so I am very dissappointed but hopeful that Awil will address this issue ASAP.

Dewg

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
Starting to get hairy around here, as Windows 8 is now actively trying to encourage users to upgrade to 8.1.  It forces them to open the Store and takes them to the 8.1 download.  I tell users to quit out of the Store, but some have accidentally installed it.

I've got about 60 users on Windows 8, and now about 10 on Windows 8.1.

nannunannu

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
Starting to get hairy around here, as Windows 8 is now actively trying to encourage users to upgrade to 8.1.  It forces them to open the Store and takes them to the 8.1 download.  I tell users to quit out of the Store, but some have accidentally installed it.

I've got about 60 users on Windows 8, and now about 10 on Windows 8.1.

Don't worry, it will only be another 2-6 weeks...  You don't really need to do any work between now and the end of the fiscal year, do you?