Author Topic: Reclusive Icon  (Read 1716 times)

DigbyMS23

Reclusive Icon
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
Avast! 9.0.2006.159, Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

Icon was showing earlier today, then did not reappear after a restart. Tried a second restart, no icon.

Ran Avast! repair in Programs and Features, restarted, icon appeared.

Needed to restart yet again, no Avast! icon. Tried one more restart, no icon.

Each time that there is no icon, Notification Area Icons indicates that Avast! is running, but that that the icon is inactive.

Assistance, suggestions, words of incantation to be recited to ameliorate the reclusiveness of the icon?

[Later] For reasons that need not be discussed here, as not really relevant, i have had to reboot the computer a few times over the past thirty or so minutes. I just finished the series of reboots, having solved the non-relevant problem, and I see the Avast! icon once again. Given that this involves computers, it is possible that the other problem (which involved a printer driver) was interfering with the Avast! icon. I shall keep watch over this, and shall report any further attempts by the icon to play hermit. Maybe, the not-really relevant problem was actually relevant.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:16:57 AM by DigbyMS23 »

grahamjohnson10

Re: Reclusive Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:25 AM »
There seems to be a big problem with Avast V9 AKA Avast 2014.

I repair computers for a living and today I installed Windows 7 32bit on two laptops.

When it came to the end of setting up the OS ect, ect we install Avast so as to give the best possible virus protection for our customers.

In both instances Avast installed with no errors, and did the initial system scan fine.

But then I noticed that there was no Avast system tray icon and also nothing happened even when clicking on the desktop icon.

After leaving one of the laptops for more than 30 minutes every thing seemed to have sorted it's self out.

But I can say something is very wrong with Avast's fresh install !!!!

Avast if you want to see the problem just install Windows 7 and then install your free antivirus and see for yourself's what happens.

If you would like to contact me please ask for phone number ect via twitter username grahamjohnson10

Offline redwolfe_98

Re: Reclusive Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:14 AM »
graham, yes, some people have said that it takes a few restarts of the computer before the avast 9 program appears to be functioning properly..

some others had more serious problems, like BSOD's when trying to boot their computers, after having installed avast 9, or mice and keyboards that wouldn't work.. incidentally, i am thinking that these problems probably are related to the recent MS windows updates, which caused problems for many people..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:12:35 AM by redwolfe_98 »