Author Topic: Question in regards to the Firewall in AIS 9  (Read 2688 times)

DBenjamin85

Question in regards to the Firewall in AIS 9
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Hi,

I updated my avast IS to 9 this past week and besides the little hiccup with the control centre not recognising avast or the firewalls being on which had been fixed by rebooting.

I noticed today that my Firewall log has had no activity whatsoever today, whilst the past few days before after the update I had the occasional block coming up.

Now in the last day the family have upgraded the house internet and the last activity that I had was in the early hours this morning when we still had the old internet connection before our upgrade.  Would this have anything to do with a lack of log activity? having a new internet connection installed or are other people with IS seeing a lack of activity in their logs?

DBenjamin85

Re: Question in regards to the Firewall in AIS 9
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
I can say that Avast is saying that "Everything is Good" and that both avast and windows control centre say that the firewalls are on, just not seen any activity in the logs which is unusual.  Our net connection/internet was upgraded to a super fast connection and the wpa now a wpa2... not sure if that would have anything to do with it?

Anyone?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »
I rarely have any blocks on AIS does the Navigator show activity ?

DBenjamin85

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
The navigator? Do you mean the traffic thing at the bottom?  It doesn't look very active currently on this page, I'm seeing 5s and 10s of kb on the top corner of it but there is nothing on the chart that appears visible.  I've not changed anything about avast at all but we do now have this new internet in the home.  We went from a rather sluggish talk talk connection to a ultrafast bt connection about 12 or so hours ago... a modem and new router installed as well... not sure if that kind of information helps?

But to add I am seeing chart activity on the upper graph in your screenshot, the bottom one doesn't seem to be doing much though.

When I was running avast on the previous connection I did have private (and still do now) selected so I was getting blocks but now i've not seen any on private since 1.04am, I just wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
As you have a new router then that will be the first to block any incoming attacks before they even get to Avast, so that may explain the lack of any blocking.  The brunt of the work is being done by your router :)

DBenjamin85

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »
I just reset my machine and the bottom graph does have activity, I was curious as to whether the new router had something to do with it not needing to block, it is apparently the more secure kind of wpa so that would probably make sense.  Also can I ask, what are the differences between the two "Private and Public" firewall settings, I seem to remember 8 having 3 choices.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Private will allow you to connect to other computers on your home network and vice versa

Public will block that

DBenjamin85

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Hmm so for a more secure/restrictive approach the Public one is the option to use?  I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you essexboy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:32:44 PM by DBenjamin85 »