Author Topic: Unable to shut off computer since recent Avast 9 update in XP.  (Read 13602 times)

Le Boule

Re: Unable to shut off computer since recent Avast 9 update in XP.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
Advice ref disabling ctfmon - worked great.  Thanks for sharing that, Canopus!   :)

But

I've got friends (who seek my advice regarding computer issues) who are still using XP and some are definitely "unsophisticated" users.   While I've been encouraging them to retire XP and go to W7 or W8 I'm recommending they not upgrade to the new version of Avast on their XP computers until this issue is resolved by Avast.  :-\

To clarify - is this issue only occurring in XP Pro? 

xtinguish

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
It is also occurring in Windows Home XP SP3.

Offline Canopus

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »

I remember when trouble shooting my computer boot up problem where it was freezing when launching services I found it was related to Avast services and the work around was to select to haver Avast services started after all other services had started. It solved the issue. I also read in that thread and seen it mention in other threads that the new version of Avast wasn't tested as thoroughly as it should have been with XP.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »

I remember when trouble shooting my computer boot up problem where it was freezing when launching services I found it was related to Avast services and the work around was to select to haver Avast services started after all other services had started. It solved the issue.

I also read in that thread and seen it mention in other threads that the new version of Avast wasn't tested as thoroughly as it should have been with XP.

I don't know where you get your stats from to say "Avast wasn't tested as thoroughly as it should have been with XP" and speculation within the forum certainly isn't proof. There were many regular forum members who are XP users involved in the longest duration beta testing for the new program version.

I think that in all there were 100,000 who partook in the beta testing, I don't know what the breakdown of OSes is, but if it is anything like the overall market share of OSes, then XP should have had reasonable representation. But, the only people who could possibly confirm numbers are avast.

Of course there was nothing to stop you from participating in the beta trial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
Did the newest update fix the issue for anyone, I notice I have ctfmon running and no issues.