Author Topic: Unable to shut off computer since recent Avast 9 update in XP.  (Read 13535 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unable to shut off computer since recent Avast 9 update in XP.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »
Update from my Reply #14:
Removed several (5-6) entries relating to ctfmon.exe from the registry. My first shutdown after editing the registry was also slow, as that is/was just removing the registry entries, so the process may have been running in the background. The shutdown at the end of the night was back to normal, but will still have to be tested over a few shutdowns, to ensure this is consistent.

@@@@
These types of action certainly aren't recommended, for many people editing the registry is the last thing that they want to do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »
But many people won't want to be messing with their registry and the real question is why should they have to, shouldn't the ultimate fix come from avast and so far we have seen no avast input on this.

+1

I do not even want to mess with Office 2007. This is my working computer and I need Office top shape for my work. Something goes wrong with how office works, even if I did everything right, and I can loose an afternoon work installing office again, not to mention all I have to do to in deactivating speech and writing recognotion to get rid of CTFMon.exe.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
But many people won't want to be messing with their registry and the real question is why should they have to, shouldn't the ultimate fix come from avast and so far we have seen no avast input on this.

+1

I do not even want to mess with Office 2007. This is my working computer and I need Office top shape for my work. Something goes wrong with how office works, even if I did everything right, and I can loose an afternoon work installing office again, not to mention all I have to do to in deactivating speech and writing recognotion to get rid of CTFMon.exe.

Yes, for me it isn't such an issue as I don't use Alternative User Input, so I was willing to give it a try for test purposes only. And if required I could revert using my last hard drive image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

happysurf

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »
Simple way, Start > Run and type in msconfig and hit OK. Go to Startup tab and look for ctfmon and uncheck it. To make sure it doesn't run go to Control Panel > Regional and Language options, then Language tab and click on Details button then go to Advanced tab and check Turn of advanced text services and OK out. Reboot computer and ctfmon will no longer start up. I don't think this is too complicated even for unsophisticated users and is quite safe. Everything can be undone easily if at some future date you need advanced text service for MS Office :)
The workaround works perfectly, XP now shut down in 4 sec.  :)
Thanks.

ManfromUN

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
When I unchecked CTFMON in MSCONFIG my XP Machine wouldn't start at all. Before that, Avast 9.0 worked well. But with CTFMON unchecked the desktop wouldn't load. The Startbutton and Taskbar stayed blue. I had to return to Avast 8,0......
So for one it's a solution, for another it's a disaster.

crofty59

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Simple way, Start > Run and type in msconfig and hit OK. Go to Startup tab and look for ctfmon and uncheck it. To make sure it doesn't run go to Control Panel > Regional and Language options, then Language tab and click on Details button then go to Advanced tab and check Turn of advanced text services and OK out. Reboot computer and ctfmon will no longer start up. I don't think this is too complicated even for unsophisticated users and is quite safe. Everything can be undone easily if at some future date you need advanced text service for MS Office :)

I did the above and all is back to a normal shut down for me. Thanks :)

Cheers

xtinguish

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
Removing CTFMON also worked for me in Windows XP SP3. Thanks.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
This seems relevant:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

Yes it is and it was in Reply #1 of this topic.

happysurf

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
The workaround works perfectly, XP now shut down in 4 sec.  :)
Thanks.
Unfortunately ctfmon.exe is loaded again and the problem is still here but I found on internet this interesting small program called "Ctfmon Remover" http://www.gerhard-schlager.at/en/projects/ctfmonremover/
Tested and works. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:14:00 AM by happysurf »

xtinguish

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
I used Ashampoo Winoptimizer to prevent CTFMON from starting and it doesn't reload again. This gives the option to start it again once Avast sort this problem out.

iroc9555

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but my last 4-5 shutdowns, since 2 days ago, have been uneventful. Fast as always.. Did avast! fix something through streams updates or VPS ?

crofty59

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »

I did the above and all is back to a normal shut down for me. Thanks :)

Cheers

Hi iroc9555
I have reset ctfmon and advanced text services back to normal boot up.
I have done 3 reboots and are back to a normal reboot.

Don't know if Avast fixed anything or not.
If I start getting long reboots/ shutdowns I will post here.

Cheers

Yance

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
Oh, i think just me got this problem. Hope next update will fix it.

Offline Canopus

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 11:46:21 AM »
You may find it's not so much a problem with Avast as with cftmon.exe. It is reported to cause issues with several applications, see here for an example:
http://actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=9&TID=63
and also this very informative article on it with so9lutions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-ctfmonexe-and-why-is-it-running/