Author Topic: Connection Timeout  (Read 3038 times)

Old Grizzly

Connection Timeout
« on: April 25, 2005, 06:36:36 PM »
As a Newbie trying to set up Avast i am getting the following Y/N message :-

Connection Timeout
Internet connection time out elapsed continue waiting?
MSIMN.EXE -> pop3.blueyonder......:110

Now i read that as Zone Alarm that i have is blocking port 110, so i have allowed tcp & udp port 110 in ZA but to no avail so i must have this wrong! can someone help plz?

Cheers and TIA Len

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Connection Timeout
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:41:46 AM »
Click on the "a"-icon in Windows taskbar, click Details>>, double-click "Internet Mail", select Advanced and increase the timeout value.

You can also choose to 'shutdown connection, when this time is over', or you can disable timeout checking at all if you wish.

zaphod2003

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 09:02:24 PM »
But why have it in the first place and what does it mean exactly?  :o

It's been bugging me for the last few days (it only started doing it about 1 week ago when I have had Avast! installed for abt 6 months), a real annoying feature if ever there was one!

At least now I know how to get the rid of the thing!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:38:23 PM »
Unblocking the ports in ZA is only part of the issue, confirm that access for ashMaiSv.exe in ZA is allowed (sometimes ZA forgets settings).

The timeout is more likely to be with your email programs timeout delay - See image for OE timeout.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »
But why have it in the first place and what does it mean exactly? :o

It's similar to timeout setting in an email program. It means that the mail scanner did not received response from the server within the expected time interval. You are informed that there is something unusual with the server or with your connection.