Author Topic: Latest Avast 9 update blocking sites on Firefox 24  (Read 2238 times)

evita1

Latest Avast 9 update blocking sites on Firefox 24
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:13 AM »
While the newest update fixed my network issues, sites I was able to get to yesterday just sit here spinning in Firefox today.  I tried adding an exclusion to webshield, even temporarily turning off the settings on the webpage itself and nothing.  Now why do those same sites work in IE 10?    My preferred browser is Firefox but that means turning off the Avast add on.  Will there be any updates?

Using Windows 7 pro,  Firefox 24 and IE 10.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:22:07 AM by evita1 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Latest Avast 9 update blocking sites on Firefox 24
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »
Without more details it is basically not possible to answer so I will have to guess.
A couple of things come to my mind.
- You are visiting websites that are marked (blacklisted) as risky by one or more resources.
- To my understanding IE is not (yet) fully supported.

Keep in mind that Firefox has more security flaws than IE and that the add-ons/plug-ins are not tested for security.

Ofcourse there will be updates. avast is constantly under development.
Bugs are fixed, better detection is added, false positives are removed etc. etc.

The latest version currently is 2014.9.0.7
If you haven't already I suggest you update to that one.

evita1

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »
Avast gives no message that these sites are blacklisted.  My cursor just simply spins.  If I go to IE10 and go to the same exact website (mind you the avast IE plugin IS turned on), I get in just fine with no issues.

Yes I have the latest program and virus defs that were released I do have.  As I said earlier, the newest program update fixed my network issues, but leave me turning off the add on in FF or surfing only IE.

Alievitan

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:45:28 AM »
Off topic but in response to Eddy " Keep in mind that Firefox has more security flaws than IE and that the add-ons/plug-ins are not tested for security."  If you talking about pure number of security patches, then Mozilla indeed has more than IE, but if you are implying Firefox is less secure than IE than I disagree. 

"If we count just the critical zero-days, there were at least 89 non-overlapping days (about three months) between the beginning of 2011 and Sept. 2012 in which IE zero-day vulnerabilities were actively being exploited.....For that same time period, I couldn’t find any evidence that malicious hackers had exploited publicly-disclosed vulnerabilities in Chrome or Firefox before those flaws were fixed. ....."

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/10/in-a-zero-day-world-its-active-attacks-that-matter/

All addons installed from the Firefox addon site are security tested.  If you install outside the site, they are not like every other browser including IE and Chrome.