Author Topic: Avast Internet Security 9.0.2006 - Windows XP Won't Boot!  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Midihead

Avast Internet Security 9.0.2006 - Windows XP Won't Boot!
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
I just upgraded to Avast Internet Security 9.0.2006 from the most recent version. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 530.I did an upgrade over top of the previous version and the software appeared to install fine. When Avast asked for a reboot, I restarted the PC. My computer will now not boot past the Windows logo. It gets to the point where the Welcome screen should display and then the monitor goes black (the PC stops sending a video signal to the monitor) and then it just sits there. I am only able to boot into Safe Mode.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing using both the full version download and the online installer. The online installer doesn't ask for a restart so AIS installs and works fine from that install... until I reboot. Then it freezes just before the Welcome screen.

If I hit F8 at power on and select Last Known Good Configuration, this will then allow me to boot into Windows however AIS is then unable to start (all shields are off) and there is a red 'X' over the tray icon. If I do a repair, it successfully gets AIS working again... until I reboot. Uninstalling AIS completely allows me to boot again but then I have no protection at all.

Doing a System Restore will stop the boot issue but AIS is disabled in the process and needs to be repaired. When I repair it and restart, the boot issue returns.

I also upgraded on a second PC (custom built) running XP SP3 and the install there went fine with no boot issues.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? I've tried disabling all startup programs which doesn't help.

Thanks for your help!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast Internet Security 9.0.2006 - Windows XP Won't Boot!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
Do a clean install of Avast using this uninstall version  http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avastclear.exe

Offline Midihead

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:30:43 AM »
I just tried running avastclear.exe and clean installing 9.0.2006 but it didn't help. I don't know what else to do but go back to a previous version unless there is something else you can thing of that would work.

:'(

Necron

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:13:55 AM »
I remember having this problem on my Windows Vista 64 bit with Avast 8. I had to wait for a fix very long and it never really worked on my Computer till I formanted my harddisc and reinstalled the windows again. I installed avast 8 and it worked fine again. Or avast 9 works fine too. I didn't format C because of avast but because I didn't do it for 3 years.

It could be a virus that crashed something. I had this problem also with comodo.

Only that worked out for me.

Offline Midihead

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
I submitted a Support Ticket and was told to send a mini.dmp file to them. My C:\Windows\minidump folder is empty so I am not able to send them the requested file. I also did a full search for mini.dmp but it doesn't exist on my computer.

Using Sysinternals Autoruns, I was able to narrow down the file that is causing my computer not to boot. If I temporarily disable aswSP.sys, then my computer will boot. Once enabled, then it won't boot again. Even though I could get my computer to boot with this file disabled, my internet no longer works unless I disable the Firewall.

In addition, on my second computer that I previously mentioned was successfully running version 9.0.2006, it turns out that I was mistaken, After turning on that computer today, I noticed that 4 of the 5 shields keep getting disabled on their own. If I re-enable them, they turn themselves off again after a minute or so. The internet on this computer also wouldn't work with the firewall enabled.

I have spent many hours trying to get this version to work and have lost much time in doing so. There seems to be obvious issues with version 9.0.2006 and Windows XP. For now, I have clean installed version 8.0.1483 again which is working with no problems as before. Perhaps if Avast can find a solution for the Windows XP issues, I will try updating to the latest version then.

Please let me know if you have any further ideas. Thank you.

crazyatc

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
Hello! The same here. I have installed the latest version 9 on 1 laptop with win7, all is ok. Did it on a pc with win 7 as well all is ok. But when it comes to Win XP all went wrong! I tried to install it on 2 different pc and they both freezed when rebooting at the same point. Using the console and looking at the processes, Avast doesn't boot. I had to restore to a previous restore point using F8 key then restore console and I'm now using the 8 version on both. My two pc have winxp with the lastest updates from microsoft . We had recently a lot of them related to security issues, maybe something to do with that? Anyway, I will wait for the next update and will try but I will do the same : I make a retore point prior to installing the new version.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
Hello,
same here too even using tool clean install in safe mode .
I have 3 pc (2 xppro and 1 seven) , not tried on seven for now (because of issues on 2 xp pcs).

-First one : spent 2 hours because when I boot all windows svc were down (du to RPC svc ?) , but it seems to be ok now

-second : spent 2 days (all this WE , 18/24h) , pc freeze just after welcome windows , but the worst is the same thing happened also in safe mode , Last Known Good Configuration didn't work anymore , no more happy with recup console  >:(
finally I hope It's good now , using an another hdd to replace older reg files on system32/config (software,system,sam,security and default)

For now I 'm waiting to install avast on it (v8 or v9) , I don't use the internet network , I'm tired I need some sleeping time.

Sure , avast 2014 need more beta test to be a final version at least on some winxp config , and sure it able to do very bad things on registry settings (maybe more damage than many virus themselves  ;) )

Tabvla

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
Midihead, I posted a possible solution at this post

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137454.0

Comments, feedback, would be most welcome.

T.

FinAnalyst

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »

HooKsTeR

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
Hello! The same here. I have installed the latest version 9 on 1 laptop with win7, all is ok. Did it on a pc with win 7 as well all is ok. But when it comes to Win XP all went wrong! I tried to install it on 2 different pc and they both freezed when rebooting at the same point. Using the console and looking at the processes, Avast doesn't boot. I had to restore to a previous restore point using F8 key then restore console and I'm now using the 8 version on both. My two pc have winxp with the lastest updates from microsoft . We had recently a lot of them related to security issues, maybe something to do with that? Anyway, I will wait for the next update and will try but I will do the same : I make a retore point prior to installing the new version.

Had the same problem here on 2 systems running Windows-XP Pro SP3, Had to use last known good configuration from an F8 to get past the issue. BTW wouldn't even boot to safe mode it would stop and lockup loading on "aswRvrt.sys". As soon as I was able to get XP back up I totally uninstalled version 9.0.2006 first through Add/Remove Programs and booted to Safe Mode and ran Avastclear.

Went back to Version 8.0.1489 as it doesn't break the Avast Tray Icon telling you there's a new version to Resolve All.

I don't like anything about this new Version It's lame on control and the overall GUI is totally lame in it's appearance and operation. Windows-8 For Sure !!! I suggest Avast have a dual Install one that handles Windows-8 and another for NT through Windows-7. I will not be running this new version again unless the GUI and controls are restored back to it's previous look and operation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:44:01 AM by HooKsTeR »

Batzilla

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:59:50 AM »
I have had to come into the Shop today and this was the solution I came up with test/worked on two Computers already
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137732.0

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
Really sorry for the troubles. We are just investigating the causes. Please if you still experience issues on WinXP, please would you be able to zip folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs and send it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

tsgtech

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
Fix the problem on all Windows XP platforms by uninstalling Family Safety from Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/family-safety-remove-uninstall-faq

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
As far I'm concerned , I haven't windows essentials in add/remove program anymore  :-[
But I have uninstalled family safety by the file "wlarp.exe" found in "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\installer"
It have done the job without trouble like by the normal way add/remove

FinAnalyst

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
Fix the problem on all Windows XP platforms by uninstalling Family Safety from Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/family-safety-remove-uninstall-faq

I do not have Windows Essentials installed, and thus I do not have Family Safety.

My particular problem on Windows XP SP3 remains.