Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Avast Shields Not Working and Can't Update Avast  (Read 24160 times)

The Eradicator

Windows 8.1 Avast Shields Not Working and Can't Update Avast
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
I am having a similar problem to others on this forum, but I was able to get avast uninstalled and reinstalled.  I am now having a problem with the avast service.  I installed windows 8.1, but when i looked in my notification bar Avast was not in there so I started to check to make sure I had everything set-up right.  When I tried to open the Avast GUI it told me "Failed to load language dll [1033\UILangRes.dll]".  I tried to Uninstall Avast, but got an error, so I downloaded the avastclear.exe tool and used it.  After using it Avast was no longer in the Uninstall list.  I restarted my computer.  Then I installed the latest Avast from the Avast from the homepage, but when I start the program or try to update it I get the errors here http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ij0qb8.jpg  and here  http://oi39.tinypic.com/1zn68hh.jpg.  Trying to press the resolve now button asks for admin permissions, but does not turn on the services.  I am on Avast 2014 32767.65535.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
The Eradicator

Offline arnaudgolab

Re: Windows 8.1 Avast Shields Not Working and Can't Update Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »
Hi,
quite the same problem for me with windows Vista Family Edition Premium. I use Avast "free" for many years. Upgrade didn't work (i had the notification avast didn't completely protect, i made "solve" and it completely block access to internet. Then it completely freeze my computer, no way to stop the avast task. After checkdisk...i downloaded aswclear, and then properly reinstall. impossible for install to finish, it stops on the last exe file. Freeze again, restart. ""Failed to load language dll [1033\UILangRes.dll]"" at the login.
CC Cleaner because uninstall didn't work properly
Redownload the file on avast server, re-install, doesn't work...
It's the first time i have such complains with avast, i clearly think to switch for a competitor...really the worst version to my mind and impossible to download the old one 8.01.1497: despite correct name, all links go to the new version...

jarrod

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
I am having a similar problem to others on this forum, but I was able to get avast uninstalled and reinstalled.  I am now having a problem with the avast service.  I installed windows 8.1, but when i looked in my notification bar Avast was not in there so I started to check to make sure I had everything set-up right.  When I tried to open the Avast GUI it told me "Failed to load language dll [1033\UILangRes.dll]".  I tried to Uninstall Avast, but got an error, so I downloaded the avastclear.exe tool and used it.  After using it Avast was no longer in the Uninstall list.  I restarted my computer.  Then I installed the latest Avast from the Avast from the homepage, but when I start the program or try to update it I get the errors here http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ij0qb8.jpg  and here  http://oi39.tinypic.com/1zn68hh.jpg.  Trying to press the resolve now button asks for admin permissions, but does not turn on the services.  I am on Avast 2014 32767.65535.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
The Eradicator

I have the same error. I upgraded to windows 8.1 64bit. Restarted and my avast was gone. Downloaded the latest free avast 2014 32767.65535 and avast does not want to load up all I get is http://gyazo.com/9746ed6e0adae1cc5b83355cec7e8459 and nothing works. All help will be appreciated.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »
Windows 8.1 has now been pulled as there were some problems with it.. 

OK lets reinstall using all V9 tools

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode

• In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

jarrod

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
Tried what you have suggested and I still have the same problems. Avast installs fine with no problems but at the end of the installation process where it states a quick scan will be launched once you press the done button after instaltion nothing happens. If you press the avast shortcut button on your desktop avast launches but you still get the http://gyazo.com/9746ed6e0adae1cc5b83355cec7e8459 error screen.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
What happens when you press resolve all ?  Have you rebooted and seen if that fixes it

jarrod

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
Nothing happens. I've tried as you suggested tried restoring restarting I have no idea what is keeping the program from running.Something that I have noticed is that I cannot reregister the free version as it shows my subscription as registered and 0 days remaining  (normaly if you install avast from scratch you get 30 days before your subscription expires) please see http://gyazo.com/0c6a0987b58a0fbbdf4a7ff029d891c1 I tried getting a registry code from avast's site again but because the program shows as registered I have no where to paste the key in.

Toonces413

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
I'm having a very similar problem, since updating to Win 8.1 Pro I'm unable to update my virus definitions.  The update screen shows: Last Encountered Error: Unknown Error.  The updated antivirus definition file appears to have downloaded but not been able to update the definitions.  Everything else seems to work properly; I did a quick scan and all the other windows appear correct.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:58:08 PM by Toonces413 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
That is the latest V9 update, are you getting lots of streaming updates ?

If you have done a system restore then I would suggest a clean install of Avast

Toonces413

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
That is the latest V9 update, are you getting lots of streaming updates ?

If you have done a system restore then I would suggest a clean install of Avast

No, not a lot of streaming updates, maybe once or twice a day.

I already had to do a clean (I think) install of Avast.  The Win 8.1 upgrade clobbered Avast and I had to do a complete install.  I did not go and uninstall Avast so that is something to try.

Thanks for the help.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
I am currently on 288 streaming updates for today

Toonces413

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
I am currently on 288 streaming updates for today

I stand corrected.  I first had to find the streaming update metric and yes it's a big number.  I was mistakenly quoting the number of times avast tells me that it has updated the virus definitions.

More importantly, my error was cleared up by using the "AvastClear" utility.

Thanks again for the help.

The Eradicator

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
I tried the procedure given by essexboy, but avast still is not working.  I uninstalled avast and installed avira, because it works fine on 8.1.  Hopefully this is fixed soon so that I can switch back to avast.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »
Did you install V9 over the top of V8 or was it a clean install

Dewg

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
Windows 8.1 has now been pulled as there were some problems with it.. 
----------

Essexboy, Windows 8.1 (Standard and Pro) has not been pulled for workstations.  Only Windows 8.1 RT was pulled, and it was due to boot problems with the encrypted boot loader.  Only a handful of RT tablets experienced it.

I appears that previous versions of Avast (v8, build 8.0.1496 and lower) aren't fully compatible.  8.0.1497 and higher should be compatible, including the most recent release of v9.

I had my 8.0.1490 stripped out when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.  I'm currently waiting for Avast to release an update for the business products that will work with 8.1.