Author Topic: Having Avast Installed Glitches Some Apps during W8.1 Upgrade  (Read 6172 times)

mrpiggles

Having Avast Installed Glitches Some Apps during W8.1 Upgrade
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
After I updated my Windows 8 x64 Lenovo y410p PC to Windows 8.1 from the app store and updated and repaired all possible apps from the store, there's 5 apps (that appear without images):

Microsoft.Camera
Microsoft.WindowsLive.ModernPhotos
Microsoft.Bing
Microsoft.WindowsLive.Chat
Microsoft.MicrosoftSkydrive

that when I try to run them, I get the message "This app can't open" and it asks me to check the Store for a fix. When I click the button to do that, the Store opens and I get the message "There's a problem with the app you're trying to run, and it can't be repaired by Windows Store." I'm unable to uninstall these broken apps, since the uninstall button doesn't appear when right clicking them, and they don't show up in the uninstall menu in PC Settings. I'm guessing these are the old apps from Windows 8 that are no longer supported on Windows 8.1 (since I also have separate working Photos, Camera, and Skydrive metro apps). The only exception is that when I run the broken chat app, the Store app offers to repair the Mail, Calendar, and Peoples app, but that does not remove the broken chat app. Uninstalling and re-installing the Mail, Calendar, and Peoples gets rid of the broken chat app, but the 4 other broken apps are still there.  It seems like everybody who's experienced this same issue here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_store/broken-modern-app-shortcuts-in-windows-81-after/994b978b-f199-4db2-910f-b5b914acd797 had Avast antivirus installed during the upgrade process to W8.1 (me as well), which is the likely culprit for this glitch. Is there any fix available for it?

Here's what there apps look like: http://imgur.com/a/dOs1i#0
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:09:56 PM by mrpiggles »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Having Avast Installed Glitches Some Apps during W8.1 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »
I also have Avast and updated to 8.1 and have not experienced that problem.  Although there do appear to be a lot of problems associated with the upgrade, so I do not believe Avast is responsible... In fact I can't see how it could be as the only interaction it has with apps is when they are run 

mrpiggles

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
I also have Avast and updated to 8.1 and have not experienced that problem.  Although there do appear to be a lot of problems associated with the upgrade, so I do not believe Avast is responsible... In fact I can't see how it could be as the only interaction it has with apps is when they are run
Literally every single person who experienced this problem in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_store/broken-modern-app-shortcuts-in-windows-81-after/994b978b-f199-4db2-910f-b5b914acd797 had Avast 2014 installed during the upgrade process from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, so I'm pretty certain Avast is the cause for this glitch.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:26:25 PM »
There are only 10 or so replies there but I have seen similar on another forum where I work that do not have Avast, also if it was Avast related then surely I would have had a problem too !

There may be another commonality but just using the AV is a bit strong.  As I say Avast has nothing to do with apps until such time as they are launched and would be inactive during the upgrade process

mrpiggles

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
There are only 10 or so replies there but I have seen similar on another forum where I work that do not have Avast, also if it was Avast related then surely I would have had a problem too !

There may be another commonality but just using the AV is a bit strong.  As I say Avast has nothing to do with apps until such time as they are launched and would be inactive during the upgrade process
Not a single person in the thread I posted experienced the issue without avast installed (10 for 10 is a pretty high correlation), and that's for a non Avast related forum. And most likely you had some other factor that prevented you from experiencing the same issue. Did you have Avast 2014 Free already installed and running (as well as the default Windows 8 Metro apps) before and during the upgrade from the consumer edition of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:43:14 PM by mrpiggles »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
Yep 2014 installed and all the standard apps plus 3 or 4 others..  Skydrive was changed with the upgrade

Edit :  I have AIS not free

av_Support

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:42:45 AM »
to get rid of the broken apps you have to go to
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts

There you have to delete the apps which were broken, cause they got replaced with other named apps under 8.1.

jdrch

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
to get rid of the broken apps you have to go to
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts

There you have to delete the apps which were broken, cause they got replaced with other named apps under 8.1.

Yeah that worked perfectly, thanks.

Regarding the answers.microsoft thread:
- All but 1 used Avast 2014 Free and had it running during the 8 -> 8.1 update process
- Avast 2014 is the only AV to block the official Facebook Win 8 app as malware https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/02afc5b2e9857090e1a2360b9e7505658f7487cda5240e73ec47fdc1be55d6a8/analysis/
- Avast 2014 still has integration problems with Action Center https://feedback.avast.com/responses/avast-2014-9-action-center

If you ask me, the evidence points to some measure of QA deficiency on Avast's part.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
The security centre is a windows problem as Avast has no contact with that area apart from supplying data

Of the multitude of possible system configurations even MS admits that there may be problems

Look at the number that have Avast and the number that have installed 8.1.  Then look at the number of errors being reported and the percentage actually becomes minimal.  OK I understand that it is no fun for you but, no programme will be able to cater for every possible permutation available