Author Topic: Can you please offer a patch for getting rid of the nag screen in avast 4.8!!!  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Anacunga

Avast 4.8 still running much better on XP than latest versions with less CPU charge – and still having multiple daily virus engine update ... so those who still use it know what they do; they don't need that focus stealing nag screen to be presented.

How to get rid of that nag screen? Can you please offer a patch to get rid of it!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:36:30 PM by Anacunga »

Arnold72

I would recommend updating to the latest version.

Offline Anacunga

NO – I with all the problems I had with the latest versions I CANNOT RECOMMEND LATEST VERSIONS!!! Avast 4.8 IS DOING IT'S JOB TO FIND MALWARE – plus it does not eat up CPU charge, 4.8 is updating within some minutes whereas latest Versions can last up to half an hour and block completely a PC for that time with 100% CPU-charge for that time; you even cannot switch between programs – something that NEVER happens with 4.8 ... So don't tell me rubbish – but my experiences with 4.8 are REALLY BEST, and with later versions are not acceptable – see also the update failure!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
A lot have changed in the 4(?) years after 4.8 was released.
You really need to update to version 2014.9.0.2006
It works fie with XP sp3 and doesn't use much resources.
Use aswclear to remove the current installation before installing the latest version.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
No point in sticking with an old version which has less protection and 4.8 is on limited life span as well, it was supposed to be canned already.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
 ???  And I thought still using 7.0.1426 was being overly cautious  :-X
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Avast4.8 is obsolete and is running on overtime.....have actually run on overtime for some years
So you will not see any patch/program fixes released for it.....it will die soon
There is also a ton of malware stuff out there that the old engine can not handle

Your problems with new version may be related to old security programs running?.....leftover files?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:51:44 PM by Pondus »

Arnold72

Avast 4.8 still running much better on XP than latest versions with less CPU charge – and still having multiple daily virus engine update ... so those who still use it know what they do; they don't need that focus stealing nag screen to be presented.

How to get rid of that nag screen? Can you please offer a patch to get rid of it!

Okay.
If you are experiencing issues with the latest version then have you tried a newer version than 4.8.?
Try version 8 perhaps.

Using 4.8 is going to create more issues for you plus the software drivers etc will be out of date.

Offline Anacunga

If you are experiencing issues with the latest version then have you tried a newer version than 4.8.?
I usually updated every PC to the latest version – until the problems got too unacceptable and I tried again v4.8 – and all the flaws are gone!

Try version 8 perhaps.
That one with this problem here? ...  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=132492.0 ... No thanks ...  >:(

Using 4.8 is going to create more issues for you plus the software drivers etc will be out of date.
Nope! not at all! With v4.8 the PCs are again normally usuable and no longer slow as a Pentium/100 with 8MB of RAM running Windows Vista ... ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Perhaps it is time for a clean install of the os to remove all the rubbish you have on that system.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Thats a good idea, i reset my Laptop to factory state yesterday cause it was crashing all the time.
Maybe an damagesystem file.

Thats also useful to ged rid of malware and the system is running better after it.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline Anacunga

Total clean system install from scratch is always the best thing ... :D ... but if you have a PC with maximum of 512MB of RAM and mandatory 32MB of them is shared memory for graphics, then the system only has 480MB of RAM to use ... with Avast 4.8 absolutely no problem – but newer versions get stuck and slow down the system so much that while updating the PC is absolutely unusable; and as stated in the other thread: that update blocking can last tens of minutes.

I'll see how v9 will behave on XP with 480MB of usable RAM – and it would be nice if it would be so well programmed that it would work fine with only so few RAM; but I first have to see that before I believe it. But as today's systems have tons of RAM, I fear that "working smooth with 480MB of usable RAM" was not the main aim of the programmers for v9 ...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Well, the people from avast are trying to keep the application as "light" as possible.
In my opinion a clean install of everything is worth giving a try.
At least it won't hurt.
Don't forget to backup important documents and such first ofcourse.

Offline Anacunga

Your problems with new version may be related to old security programs running?.....leftover files?
Nope! These CPU-overload-problems occurred also after clean new system install!