Author Topic: My own C# software marked as a suspicous program/virus.  (Read 10682 times)

Fr33dan

My own C# software marked as a suspicous program/virus.
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
This must have happened with a fairly recent definition update as I did not have it a week ago (I'm not sure when I last opened this software but it couldn't have been more than a week). A piece of software I wrote was flagged as a virus and blocked the second I compiled it to run it. I then went to open an older build of it (I was already in visual studio originally so building and launching was more convenient) it also found that to be a virus.

Like I said I wrote the code myself so I know it is not a virus. It goes on the local network, lists some configuration files to you (XML files with a custom extension), lets you pick one and edit it.  Perhaps the weirdest part though is that this program has very little code in and of itself. It works by loading a running a Form in a DLL (a referenced project in Visual Studio that's built to a DLL). Other programs that use this DLL (but start from a form within themselves) do not have an issue. The entire code of the exe can be placed here:

Code: [Select]
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using ATE.GUI.Dialogs;
using ATE.Configuration;

namespace ATE_Results_Loader
{
    static class Program
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// The main entry point for the application.
        /// </summary>
        [STAThread]
        static void Main()
        {
            Application.EnableVisualStyles();
            Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);
            Application.Run(new ATE.GUI.DataViewerForm());
        }
    }
}

ATE.GUI.DataViewerForm is within the DLL (which does not report as suspicious)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: My own C# software marked as a suspicous program/virus.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »
have you tested the file at www.virustotal.com to see if others detect?

You can upload and report FP to avast  here: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

you can also use mail

send to virus@avast.com in a password protected zip file
mail subject:  False Positive
zip password:  infected

or you can send files from avast chest
how to use the chest.   http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21

Fr33dan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
Interesting. Uploading the file there indicates no virus (even from avast). I then decided to use the "Scan with avast" option in the right click menu. This also does not report a problem. But when I goto run it (from a Microsoft ClickOnce installation if that's relevant) I still get this message and the file is removed:

Should I still report it as a false positive or is this something slightly different?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »
No this is marked as suspicious due to the nature of the programme, click add to exclusion list

Fr33dan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
While I can add my bin folder to the exclusion list that does not work for the click once deployment. Each update leaves the old version intact and creates a new folder with the updated version (all buried in AppData). So the only solution would be to exclude all click once applications (not something I'm trying to do from a security standpoint). It as also not acceptable from a design standpoint to make my users modify their antivirus settings to run my program. I'm working on my personal machine but this software internal for a business (and I'm not the only one use uses their personal machine that has Avast on it to work).

Is there anyway to figure out what is causing my program to appear suspicious and prevent/undo it?

rbibber

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:45:04 AM »
Avast is doing the same to my vb.net programs. Quite frankly it is pissing me off.

I select add to exclusion list and nothing happens. I SHOULD NOT have to exclude MY OWN software!