Author Topic: Avast wont let me enable windows firewall  (Read 24819 times)

Joshg94

Avast wont let me enable windows firewall
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »
Ok i have not been on this computer for a month so i had to download the new program update for avast. After it updated it turns out my windows firewall is turned off and when i go onto the control panel is says.

These setting are being managed by vendor application avast! Internet Security....

Does this mean i have to turn windows firewall on through avast? If so how do i turn it back on.. Any advice appreciated.

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: Avast wont let me enable windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
I assume that you are using avast Internet Security with its own firewall.  If you are, then the same thing is happening to me.  Since avast IS never before took over the Windows firewall I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not for this version.  I have had one other person on this forum confirm that it was happening to him also however.  Although I have not seen any "official" word from the avast team that this is normal behavior for avast 2014.

I believe that you are still protected with the avast firewall, so I wouldn't be too concerned - unless, of course, if it is interfering with some other program . . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
No, I don't think that you have to switch it on.

The firewall in 9.0 has had some improvements and I believe is also ivp6 compatible and I think that was what the windows firewall provided.

Most third party firewalls disable the windows firewall, but avast's firewall was originally built to be compatible with it. Now if avast doesn't require any elements of the windows firewall it would make scene for it to switch it off.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »
No, I don't think that you have to switch it on.

The firewall in 9.0 has had some improvements and I believe is also ivp6 compatible and I think that was what the windows firewall provided.

Most third party firewalls disable the windows firewall, but avast's firewall was originally built to be compatible with it. Now if avast doesn't require any elements of the windows firewall it would make scene for it to switch it off.

David - I agree with your logic.  What makes me concerned however, is the fact that avast only seems to turn off the Windows firewall MOST of the time.  I am using avast IS 2014 and, on occasion, when I reboot my PC, the Windows firewall is NOT turned off by avast.  I would think that it should work (one way or the other) 100% of the time.

It really wouldn't bother me much but when avast IS takes control of the Windows firewall it prevents me from connecting wirelessly with one of the programs that I run on my PC.  When it leaves the Windows firewall on I can connect with no problems.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
Well I agree there shouldn't be any inconsistency, but the question is what is turning the windows firewall on (after avast had previously switched it off). Is there a possibility that this other program is enabling the windows firewall again.

Even if it is this other program enabling it again, I would question why it requires the windows firewall on for your wifi to work, that is strange. Unfortunately not using the avast firewall I can't really offer any advice in that regard (possibly trying different setting, Public, Work, Home).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »
Well I agree there shouldn't be any inconsistency, but the question is what is turning the windows firewall on (after avast had previously switched it off). Is there a possibility that this other program is enabling the windows firewall again.

Even if it is this other program enabling it again, I would question why it requires the windows firewall on for your wifi to work, that is strange. Unfortunately not using the avast firewall I can't really offer any advice in that regard (possibly trying different setting, Public, Work, Home).

No - no possibility that the other program is enabling the Windows firewall.  As soon as I get to the desktop, I check the status of the Windows firewall - this is BEFORE I even run the other program.  Heck, it's before I run any program!

The program in question is the "content server" from calibre (an ebook organizer and conversion program).  It doesn't NEED the Windows firewall to function - it appears that when avast! doesn't turn off the Windows firewall, something else in avast ISN'T activated and this allows the content server to connect wirelessly.

I've been hoping for a response from one of the avast team members about this inconsistency but so far only one from Lukas asking if I had the avast firewall setting set to "Private" or "Public".  Nothing since then . . . .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
OK, sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully pk or one of the other avast team can pick up on this.

JigglePuff61141

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
I am having the same problem and it bothers me that I don't have the option. I usually don't use windows firewall but the fact that I can't ever turn it on id annoying.

JigglePuff61141

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
This is really fucking annoying because for some reason when avast blocks my windows firewall my game server can't go up but if I manage to have control for my windows firewall by rapidly restarting over and over again then my server can go up. They really need to fix this because until they do i can't earn money. I really want to switch to bit defender right now.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »
I'm not having the same thing happen with the firewalls, I did an update to 9 and bar that issue that other people have had with avast (firewall/av) and windows firewall not being recognised as being on... which as it's been stated a few times you fix by doing a few restarts/reboots to windows.  But other than that Avast IS is running just as it was before with both firewalls active, all the the security things in that windows control centre showing as they should be.

Have there been any changes to the FW besides the improvements mentioned in the thread already? Should it be running as it was before?

Does the OP have any settings within their firewall that might cause it to switch off when avast is present?

JigglePuff61141

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
No i didnt change anything to my firewall everything was the same as it was until avast updated to 9 and right after that i had the firewall problems and still on going. Plus turning your comp on and off multiple times is only a temporary fix as after the next restart it goes back to being blocked and then you have to restart like 20 times to fix it again.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:44:45 AM »
If you've got Avast Firewall... you can disable Windows Firewall. Both do work together though.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
If I`m not wrong, right now avast! disables Windows Firewall when installing. I think avast! has added full support to all features Windows firewall has, so, no need for both doing the same, on contrary.
Am I wrong?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
If I`m not wrong, right now avast! disables Windows Firewall when installing. I think avast! has added full support to all features Windows firewall has, so, no need for both doing the same, on contrary.
Am I wrong?

Tech - you are correct that avast! takes control of the Windows firewall but not 100% of the time.  On my PC avast! controls the Windows firewall about 80% of the time after I boot the machine.  The other 20% (these percentages are just approximations!) when I look at the Windows firewall in the Control Panel it appears "normal" i.e. I see the normal Windows firewall screen telling me it is on and functioning normally.  When avast! has control of the firewall I see a screen that tells me "These settings are being managed by vendor application avast! Internet Security".  See the thread I started previously: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137162.0

I had also alluded to this in my posting in the beta section: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136587.0

The problem is twofold: avast! does not consistently control the Windows firewall and when it does control the firewall it prevents some applications from functioning correctly.

The more time I spend reading the messages in this forum, the more I am convinced that the firewall included in avast! 2014 is in need of some drastic changes.

cavehomme2

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
I am really confused and I need some urgent help please because I am going to be traveling soon and I need to be sure about this Avast firewall. Here is my situation -

I have freshly installed today AIS 2014 and prior to installation the Windows 7 firewall was on. After installation and reboot of AIS I noticed that the Avast firewall was on but that the Windows firewall was also on.

Every other IS manufacturer that I have used, with 1 exception, automatically disables the Windows firewall for the obvious reason that 2 firewalls are unnecessary and can clash with each other.
The one exception is Webroot who state that the Windows firewall needs to be left on.

Why is there lack of transparency and information form Avast? There is nothing in their help file and experts on this forum are in the dark. My basic questions are -

1. Does Avast require Windows firewall to be left on?

2. If not required, then why does it not disable it?

3. If it leaves it on for a reason, what is the reason?

I urgently need an answer to at least #1 please, anyone?

Thanks!