Author Topic: Avast wont let me enable windows firewall  (Read 24820 times)

tommytinkroom

Re: Avast wont let me enable windows firewall
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
If I`m not wrong, right now avast! disables Windows Firewall when installing. I think avast! has added full support to all features Windows firewall has, so, no need for both doing the same, on contrary.
Am I wrong?

Tech - you are correct that avast! takes control of the Windows firewall but not 100% of the time.  On my PC avast! controls the Windows firewall about 80% of the time after I boot the machine.  The other 20% (these percentages are just approximations!) when I look at the Windows firewall in the Control Panel it appears "normal" i.e. I see the normal Windows firewall screen telling me it is on and functioning normally.  When avast! has control of the firewall I see a screen that tells me "These settings are being managed by vendor application avast! Internet Security".  See the thread I started previously: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137162.0

I had also alluded to this in my posting in the beta section: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136587.0

The problem is twofold: avast! does not consistently control the Windows firewall and when it does control the firewall it prevents some applications from functioning correctly.

The more time I spend reading the messages in this forum, the more I am convinced that the firewall included in avast! 2014 is in need of some drastic changes.

I could'nt agree more with you,there is a serious problem with the Avast firewall.
To get my media server(Mede8erX3D1000) working i had to do a custom install and
remove the Avast firewall for the media server to work again.
Everything was fine before this new update.

Offline mxbaran707

• Digital Abacus Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »
My experience with 8.0 was having both firewalls on( Windows and Avast ), and allowing certain networking functions to run smartly through each firewall. Avast 9.0 ( opinion ::)) has hierarchically, moved up the ladder in MS Windows to a fully Trusted Program. That, and Windows allows users ( administrators ) to choose the AV software of their choice. While Avast runs the Windows Firewall, it has not disabled it. Mine still has all of the selections in that I chose when I ran it. Symantec does this too, and since it is profitable for them, they have a nice little user interface. Bells and whistles, and little functionality. They control the horizontal , they control the vertical...
The windows firewall is very powerful, and almost impossible for the lay user to configure to its real full potential. As long as Avast operates in the sunlight, I am happy...

amd 1.3 gig win 7 sp 1 Av 9.0 chrome MS office 2013
Asus VivoBook Maxx / Windows 10 Home 21H2/
AMD A6-9225 RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G      2.60 GHz/ 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)/
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
BK...😎

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Right now, if I'm not wrong, installation of avast! 2014 disables the Windows Firewall. All the protection is the same (IPv6, inbound...), although avast! Firewall allows outbound control and more flexibility.
The best things in life are free.

doktornotor

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
I fail to see the point of this thread? If you want to use Windows Firewall, then don't install the firewall component of Avast... Uh.

cavehomme2

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
I fail to see the point of this thread? If you want to use Windows Firewall, then don't install the firewall component of Avast... Uh.

The point as I see it is to understand what is the default behaviour of Avast firewall in relation to Windows firewall, at least that was my question on this thread. Security companies have generally drummed into our heads that we should not operate two firewalls therefore very surprising to see Avast 8 and 9 leave the Windows firewall all. Therefore the next question is, does Avast require that the Windows firewall is switched on or not? It really should not be optional, it should be one or the other! 

doktornotor

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
therefore very surprising to see Avast ... leave the Windows firewall all.

If you mean "leave the firewall ON", then you are the only one observing such behaviour with avast! 2014 on this thread. Would kinda suggest this is NOT the thread you want to post to. (Hope you have verified this by some useful method, such as checking the service status in services.msc, as opposed to broken junk such as the security center with notoriously buggy WMI.) As for the rest of people here complaining that avast won't let them enable Windows Firewall, just refer to my previous post.

If you want to use Windows Firewall, then don't install the firewall component of Avast...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:57:18 PM by doktornotor »

DBenjamin85

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
My firewalls have not changed since doing the upgrade, both are still being show as active/on in both the security centre and when I look in services (I have the option to restart or turn off in services for both firewalls).  Thank you doktornotor for mentioning the services thing as I've had experiences with the security centre since updating which have since corrected themselves.  I imagine some people are having issues whilst others are not?

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
I imagine some people are having issues whilst others are not?

Apparently so. I did a quick test on W7, W8 and W8.1 Hyper-V VMs and the Windows Firewall was disabled on all of them after installing AIS 2014 trial. (Worth noting, these are clean vanilla Windows snapshots where only the applicable hotfixes are installed via WU. Nothing else.)

DBenjamin85

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
I see, should I be bothered by the fact that mine seems to be working just as they were before?  Avast clearly states that the firewall is on and as mentioned both CC and Services have both Avast and Windows firewalls down as being active.  I have a subscription for AIS on Windows 7 64x.

doktornotor

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
Shrug; as long as it's working for you. I would not like to manage (let alone debug) two different firewalls on the same box. Enough of a PITA with one.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
my problem with avast is that now i cant edit certain programs to let them through my fire wall like skye minecraft, i dont even get the option to look at my enabled programs for my firewall because its no longer given with the free version which is stupid because thats all i need avast for i dont need it for the other crap it has i have other better programs for cleaning up my computer. but now i cant even use avast or my own firewall to let my own programs run?? im getting rid of avast.