Author Topic: [SOLVED] Avast IS 9 Firewall Issues with Azureus Vuze  (Read 23175 times)

tahoka

[SOLVED] Avast IS 9 Firewall Issues with Azureus Vuze
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:37:05 AM »
I upgraded to Windows 8.1, Avast 9 and Java on the same day.

Laptop Configuration Details:
OS: Windows 8.1 (Verified the problem is also present on Windows 7)
Java Versions: JDK and JRE 7u45 (x86 and x64), JDK and JRE 6u39 (x86)
Vuze: 5.1.0.0

Since upgrading Azureus Vuze does not startup on the UI. The observations are as follws:
  • Vuze runs in the background with no UI. On clicking Analyze Wait Chain in the task manager for Vuze we get a message that the application is waiting for some Network IO
  • Launching a torrent file, creates a new instance of Vuze
  • This happens only rarely. After 20-30 mins the UI for Vuze suddenly pops up. Even after the application starts the download speeds are reduced
  • The logs from Vuze point out to this: Alert:3:ERROR: socket Selector.open() failed 10 times in a row, aborting.
    Azureus / Java is likely being firewalled!
  • If I disable the Firewall service (and enable Windows Firewall) and start Vuze, the application starts normally in 1-3 seconds. Also there are no download speed issues

I have attached a link to the youtube video for better understanding of the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKP0HZx7z9Y. Also the video gives a glimpse of my Firewall settings in Avast. The same problem is also being faced on my home machine with Windows 7 on it. This rules out any effect of Windows 8.1 in the problem.

Note that I have tried the solution given on the link http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/ to no avail.

I know that most of this information is fit for a Vuze forum. But what I want to know is the configuration required for the Firewall rules to enable Vuze to function normally. It is confirmed that the problem is because of Avast Firewall that is bundled with Avast IS 9. I have been a user for Avast and Vuze for long and have never experienced this problem. Please help me out to solve the problem as I want to run Avast and Vuze both as I always have done.

PS: I am an advanced user on Windows and hence please understand that I have tried all the basic stuff.Avast IS 9 Firewall Issues with Azureus Vuze
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:23:37 AM by tahoka »

Offline Akumadoken

Re: Avast IS 9 Firewall Issues with Azureus Vuze
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »
Having the same problem with Vuze. Would love an answer soon.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:26:21 PM by Akumadoken »

tahoka

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »
Anyone found a solution to this problem? I have currently disabled Avast Firewall and have fallen back to Windows Firewall.

shackman0

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
the only way i can get vuze to work is to disable the avast firewall:

i tried firewall->configure->Azureus->packet rules and opened all incoming and outgoing ports for all protocols. still wouldn't allow vuze to connect to a local loopback socket.

i am running:
avast 2014.9.0.2008
windows 7
Java 1.7.0_45
vuze V5.1.0.0/4 az3

avast is getting increasingly in my way these days.

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
I'm having the same issue.

tobnosh

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
i have it too after updating to 9 first i had problem updating to 9 on the normal update so dowloaded it, after a while i was thinking using vuze and as you sai takes a long time ti load, not if the fire wall is off but i noticed mye its even moore that is blocked caus league of legend and my geforce experience are also bloced  in the program list is somting about signature so probably the new avast is using some kind of signatures for listening on whats good and bad, but then it my look like its a lot it might block that we dont know off, ofc easy just stop it 10 min then run what you want and start it up  ::)

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »
So I've identified part of the problem, which appears to be not just Avast.

Windows 7 update KB288409 is designed to improve browser performance on Internet Explorer 11.  I've since removed this and it now takes about 2mins or less to load the UI.

On a side point, don't update to Vuze 5.2 - if you've already done so, please note that your system may now be infected with "Browser.Spigot.A" and "Optional.Conduit.A" malware, which changes search settings on your browsers, and sometimes even encrypts or steals your files!  Run a scan with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware just to be sure, as well as check for "Spigot" / "Bunndle" directories installed and "Savings" apps that might have been added to your browser.  Then install and run HitmanPro's 30-day trial, and download to desktop and run ComboFix after that.  If they don't find the folders, look for them using Windows Explorer and delete them; I can assue you they're most likely malware and not legit.

However, DO NOT search and remove folders named "Conduit" unless these programs tell you to - some of it is actually not malware and part of the functionality of certain programs like Adobe AIR...

I'd strongly recommend you purchase the first two programs, as they can both run in conjunction with Avast without software conflicts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:06:10 PM by Hyncharas »

propheticus

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
a: conduit is spyware
b: try removing the firewall

SammerKayyali

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
having the same problem... and having this with java-based sites too... i have to disable the shield to make it run...

X Morpheus

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Same problem here. All is ok but... only if i disable avast firewall.
i starded after the last update to avast IS 2014.9.0.2008
Avast 2014.9.0.2008
Vuze 5.0.0.0/4 az3
Java 1.7.0_45 (32-64)
Windows 7 64

Tried to get help from support, they said to reinstall, but the problem remains. (Vuze is running in background but no UI, UI pops up after 15-20 minuts, it creates a new instance after 15-20 minuts for each torrent launched)

If it works only if i disable avast, what's the point to pay for that?

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »
a: conduit is spyware
b: try removing the firewall

Conduit is not spyware unless an anti-virus/anti-malware program says it is; the fact that hackers make viruses with the same name as legitimate programs is responsible for half the issues users experience, when they find something like Acrobat or their browser no longer work, after they've deleted the wrong stuff.

propheticus

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »
All conduit offers is some website social media sharing toolbars and mobile website/-apps. Surely the social media sharing buttons can be missed...

tahoka

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »
The update to Avast 2014.9.0.2011 has solved the problem of Vuze. Now Avast Firewall and Vuze can work together. Thanks to the team for solving the issue.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: [SOLVED] Avast IS 9 Firewall Issues with Azureus Vuze
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »
Conduit is a PUP.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •