Author Topic: Avast 2014 slow opening of programs  (Read 22860 times)

mokkaman

Avast 2014 slow opening of programs
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
I updated to Avast 2014 recently and I clearly find a noticable slowness when opening a program after the update. For example, when i open ccleaner, it will open in 2-3 seconds in first start, with previous avast. But now, it takes around ten seconds to open it. This is the same case with any application you open the first time after booting. It takes long time. If the app is closed and opened second time, it works fast and normally.

I have the same settings in avast 2014 as in prev version. IS this due to some changes in file shield. Note that I have i7 processor and 8gb ram , so u cant blame my system.

kennyb227

Re: Avast 2014 slow opening of programs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
I have the same system specs and my system is opening programs slower than before the upgrade.

ank91

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »
i have same problem here- (avast free- win xp- x86)

i found that if i m connected to internet and try open a program (lets say notepad) first time (since i logged in to windows) the program takes about 5 seconds to appear on screen. and if i open that program second time then it open within a second.

but if i disconnected to internet and open any program (does not matter if it is first or second time) , all programs open within a second. :o

note : i have not installed "web shield" and only file shield installed .
           i have no other security software installed.

did some notice this behavior in avast 2014 ?

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »
RC2 of 2014, clean install (really good clean-out after Avast's tool and reboot) was fast. Went to RC3 and the slowness appeared, with a spreadsheet in Calc taking about 25s to open first time and about 15s after. With File Shield off, it opened in 11s first time and 7s after.
Apps launched from Quick Launch bar always had a 2s delay; from the Desktop icons there was the same.

Cleared out all of Avast again, installed 2014 Final - same problems.
(BTW, was using Private Firewall).

Another clear-out, installed Comodo AV and FW. I takes a another 100MB of RAM but I have 2GB.
Calc now opens in 11s, no delays with icons, shuts down about 3 - 5s quicker (OK, only form 14s to 9s, no big deal).
Most notable is QuiteRSS - it was about 10 - 12s with Avast and is not 3s!

If this is fixed, I'd still like to use Avast as AV, as I prefer 'no, you can't come in' over Comodo's 'you're in but you may not do anything' approach.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

dprout69

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
This slowness started today for me as well... seems intermittent cause now it's not doing it, but earlier today all programs were taking about 10 seconds to open.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:44:31 PM by dprout69 »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
Looks as if Avast Devs can't tell us anything about this - pity, as I'd love to go back to Avast.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »
Though a lot of what concerns me is filesharing/internet-based apps I, too, have noticed Avast 2014 appears to be strangling the CPU.

Clearly the build was released too early if so many people are having issues with it.

Sirius Black

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
I have same problem with new version, works so slow in compare with previous one... Shame on you, developers, i've bought three licenses of your product month ago, and hope for same great performance as 8th version did, but totally overhelmed now.

pompste

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
Same problem here--slow opening of some programs with avast 2014.
I found if i DISABLE ALL AVAST ONLINE SECURITY SETTINGS from the little icon in the upper right hand corner,that all sites load properly.But it all resets to default settings again after the browser is closed and then reopened.I don`t need this hassle and am looking for a new antivirus program.

olddog

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »
..I found if i DISABLE ALL AVAST ONLINE SECURITY SETTINGS from the little icon in the upper right hand corner,that all sites load properly.But it all resets to default settings again after the browser is closed and then reopened.

Answered in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140598.0

mokkaman

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
This problem still exists. Wordweb, Internet download manager which are so light also takes long to open. I cant disable avast scanning .exe as it would allow viruses too to execcute. Hope the file system hield gets corrected to resolve this issue. When transient caching and persistent caching are enabled, this issue must not come at all. The freq used programs wont be scanned again and again if these two work properly. I am not sure on what actually went wrong but its really driving me crazy to have programs opening like a minute after opening them !!

ATOMICO

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 06:18:26 AM »
I have same problem here.

Web/Firefox turned too slow...

Poor programmers.. how is possible?

esarkay

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
I have the same problem.  Anything that requires file access has slowed dramatically.  Opening a file or saving a file.  Once the file is open no problem.  I have version 2014.9.0.2008 with 131204-2.  I am using the Windows 7 64-bit OS.  Just wondering if there are any settings that can provide some relief without leaving my system wide open.

Jack 1000

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
The new version is slow to open programs from a fresh reboot on Windows XP.  I had the issue with Avast 2014 on first install.  The program update notification said that Adobe Air was out of date so I got the latest version of that.  I also ran CC Cleaner, and did 2-3 more restarts.  The programs open a little longer than when I had MSE as my Anti-Virus, but going to MS Config and disabling Adobe Air at start up created a much faster boot time for Avast.

Firefox on bootup could open maybe five seconds faster than it does.  On subsequent sessions following the bootup, it is only about three seconds slower.  You guys can also send Help and Feedback to Mozilla Firefox about this issue in the Help section of the browser.  That might help.

Jack

kodl

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
It looks like Avast do not know the answer!