Author Topic: Flat as a flounder – or has Avast totally lost shape or what???  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Anacunga

The new "slice flap" tray icon is a real shallow shame compared to the rolling ball of previous avast ...  >:(

Hey guys – my system is not as flat as the tiled w8-design – and I don't want avast to try that!!!  :P

Please change the activity indicator back to something unflat!!

Sparxx

Re: Flat as a flounder – or has Avast totally lost shape or what???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
I for instance like it much more than the old one, so what should do avast team now ?

Rohugh

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
I prefer the new one as well, for me it is more noticeable when animating.  Can't please everyone I guess.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
Can't please everyone I guess.  :)

Yep.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
I prefer the new icon, it's much more appealing and interesting to look at than earlier versions and it's more noticeable with the colour change  :)

boe323

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
If they just added a few more frames to make it smoother, that would be great, it is shabby at the moment. You know, seeing as there trying to make it look like windows 8, why cant they add a tile interface so we can access from the start screen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:25:04 AM by boe323 »

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »
The new look is just shabby and quite illogical.

Why does Avast not offer adaptable skins where you also can choose the style of the tray icon? And generally the skin should be adapted to the running system itself! It's so strange to have a mix up of several system designs on a PC – normal design is windows classic – and some programs look like windows vista/7 – and some new ones like flat-squashed windows 8 ... (and there are even programs that imitate the MacOS-look ... :D ...). That looks inconsistent and ugly! A serious programmer does not force the design, but gives that one of the running system itself!

Sparxx

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
The new look is just shabby and quite illogical.

Why does Avast not offer adaptable skins where you also can choose the style of the tray icon? And generally the skin should be adapted to the running system itself! It's so strange to have a mix up of several system designs on a PC – normal design is windows classic – and some programs look like windows vista/7 – and some new ones like flat-squashed windows 8 ... (and there are even programs that imitate the MacOS-look ... :D ...). That looks inconsistent and ugly! A serious programmer does not force the design, but gives that one of the running system itself!
A serious programmer would rather optimize his program to run as smooth and low on resources as possible and offer a UI to be easy on eyes and easy to understand, people generally don't mess around with antivirus programs, they want a program that functions on principle "install and forget", this isn't a chat client, or an MS Office program so people will be starring at it's UI all day.
Now why would avast team spend resources and time on a feature that would please a tiny amount of people, if they can concentrate on things like improving performance, detection rate, include new features( like Rescue Disk) that are much..much more important and more people oriented.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder  ;)

Rohugh

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »

A serious programmer would rather optimize his program to run as smooth and low on resources as possible and offer a UI to be easy on eyes and easy to understand, people generally don't mess around with antivirus programs, they want a program that functions on principle "install and forget", this isn't a chat client, or an MS Office program so people will be starring at it's UI all day.
Now why would avast team spend resources and time on a feature that would please a tiny amount of people, if they can concentrate on things like improving performance, detection rate, include new features( like Rescue Disk) that are much..much more important and more people oriented.

Agreed.  For the majority of time I ran previous Avast! after setting it up initially the icon sat in my tray and it quietly did its stuff and was hardly seen.  If I didn't like the rolling animation of the new one I would just stop that animation - it has no effect on the way the program works.  It is all new at the moment and people are going to look for and report and help to sort out the more important problems it may have,  imo appearance rates very low on the priorities.

Arnold72

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
If you do not like the tray icon then can it not be simply disabled.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
Why was even the old icon animated at all? Thankfully it could be turned off but as far as I'm concerned anything animated on the desktop I do not want, whether it be flashing, whirling or doing anything else distracting. Tray icons should just sit there confirming the program is running and for quick access and that is all.

The attractiveness of the GUI is important. No doubt they spend huge amounts of time discussing and creating the changes for these things each new version features anyway. So the argument that it is somehow taking time away from providing the core features is spurious. If that was an issue why change the look at all?

Of course you want functionality and reliability of the program put first but if the thing looks hideous and hasn't been well thought out from a design viewpoint then it is a flaw.  I've always thought having some of Avast settings options only available via the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs very odd.   

A good skinning option can let a user choose a more suitable layout for the way menus are presented from a range of options, some of which may relegate stuff they don't use most of the time to the background. Skinning can be more than just about changing colours schemes and fonts it can make a program more user friendly. Surely that is a good thing.

Personally I'd be happy if I could retro skin Avast back to the black and orange themed look and layout rather than the pointless and ugly Win8 alike tiles of the current version.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
Sorry, but the tray-icon is an indicator to tell that avast is working – specially if the entire PC is irresponsive and you have to wait for minutes until you can enter the next character when writing something or else!

The user wants to know if something is eating up CPU-charge – and the whirling tray-icon is a very elegant way to show that!

Btw.: Avast 4.8 could additionally show directly which files were being checked; I miss that feature since v5 (but it should be half-transparent and not disturb click-zone (i.e. it should only display, and you always would click-through)!

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
If the icon is there Avast is active it doesn't need to be animated to check the program is working. If it is there it is, or should be, working. The animation is, therefore, an unnecessary distraction only telling you when Avast is actively engaged in doing something and tells you about it. If that makes you feel more secure OK but it is unnecessary.

It might not even be there at all, animated or static, yet still be working perfectly happily if somebody, for some reason, has reset the Avast icon to "Always Hide" in Taskbar & Start Menu Properties.

Hover cursor over tray empty part of tray > Right mouse click >  Properties > Customise.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
No, animation of the avast-tray-icon is absolutely not unnecessary – as you want to know why your PC is so slow for certain moments; and if you then see the avasti-tray-icon spinning, you know that avast is working and consuming CPU-charge (and you don't have to fear that any other malware is doing something you don't want to)!