Author Topic: Avast installation cannot be fully terminated as button is outside screen ...  (Read 6882 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I had this on my Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit) 10.1", 1024X600 screen, you have to get a little creative.

First I dragged the task bar over to the left side that gave more top to bottom space, then you can use the Tab key and watch out for the focus changing in the fields, having unchecked the chrome options. You should be able to see the two chrome boxes, tab until you see the focus change to that box 1. again should move into box 2. the next tab would take you to the first of the google (terms of use) box 3. then the second one (privacy policy) box 4. finally the tab would take you what is the unseen Continue button (5.) now you should be able to click the Enter key.

That should complete the process. A pain in the rear yes but at least you should be able to complete the process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

Btw: I simply could have set screen resolution to something more than 600 in height (this is possible with WinXP (but not with Vista/W7) – and then by moving the mouse over the edge, the screen itself moves below the view (like "virtual desktop" control panel on oldfashioned MacOS 7.5); that's the "keyhole view mode"); but that does not solve the problem if you don't have winXP!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Which is why I mentioned using the tab function to move between fields, because my netbook is on win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike808

It is unreasonable to offer, as a "solution", something that requires that a potential Avast customer go research this issue in the forums for a "workaround" requiring them to trust that whomever is providing the instructions to "press TAB twice, left-arrow once, down-arrow three times, hop on one foot and sacrifice a chicken on a Tuesday after a full moon" will actually work and do no harm is simply offering unicorns and rainbows for what is being passed off as "technical support".

You know what the real workaround will be? Uninstall this junk software and install something that ... works. The first time.

This is not something that needs a workaround. It is something that the UI designers that ignored physical constraints like a 800x600 maximum phyisical screen resolution, which is very common in netbooks and older tablets, should be held accountable for by misunderstanding the word "requirement", and entered as a DEFECT in the product to be corrected and fixed.

It should be reported to Avast Technical Support (I did) and I won't use Avast products or recommend same until it is. In the software development industry, it's called a critical block bug/defect -- when a customer cannot install your software due to your UI design *choices*.

In the end if Avast doesn't want to support such 1024x600 or 800x600 screen resolutions, then the installer should detect this and explain to the user that the installation is being terminated for this reason. But they didn't, so the UI requirement to support this resolution should stand, and Avast should fix the defect.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It wasn't offered as a solution, but a workaround, by one avast user to another, I have no more control over the UI design than any other avast user.

Is it unreasonable to try and help someone get round this problem, as waiting for a UI change isn't reasonable either.