Author Topic: Advice regarding Avast IS 9  (Read 2238 times)

DBenjamin85

Advice regarding Avast IS 9
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
I originally thought that 9 had updated without issue but upon logging in to windows 7 there seems to be two issues with windows.

1/ It tells me the Windows can't recognise an AV programe
2/ Windows Firewall has been turned off and won't turn back on.

Are these normal behaviours for Avast 9?

DBenjamin85

Re: Advice regarding Avast IS 9
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
what the... now windows is telling me that Avasts firewall as well as avast have been turned off but when I open avast it says everything is fine.... I should have know this update wasn't going to go smoothly.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
This is not a problem with avast, but with the Windows Security center.
Either reboot a few times or use this: http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/security-center-reset-1-0-released

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
Did avast not test to ensure it works with the security center prior to release.
saying it is a bug with the security center is a pretty lame excuse in my opinion.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
I was going to ask the same thing, i've rebooted 3 times and it still is showing up windows issues.  Even went through the motions and did a repair of avast, is anyone else having this issue?

What is that link that was posted before, sorry but I'm not in the habit of clicking and using programs unless I'm totally familiar with what they do.

Arnold72

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »
I find it odd that other security vendors can merge with the security center just fine and avast itself has been doing so for years and yet suddenly the new release has issues.

The windows security center in windows 7 is the same as it has always been so blaming this very function for avast issues is simply strange and not very convincing.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Hmm this does seem to be stemming from avast! I think, when I check the firewall settings it says that avast! is the vendor over the security settings, so security center isn't recognising this... since I rebooted it seems that it's no longer telling me that avast! has been turned off but I am still getting that avast! firewall and windows firewall are turned off.

Within avast it says that the firewall is turned on.  I can't see whether the windows one is on or not because all the settings are bolded because avast apparently has control over them... have they stopped doing the thing where both firewalls run together?

DBenjamin85

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
Heeello, on the 5th reboot it seems that Windows has started to recognise it, not getting any flags about firewalls or AVs being turned off... so hopefully this has all been resolved, the shields are moving, seeing activity in the network traffic and things appearing on the firewall log.  Hopefully this is it sorted.