Author Topic: TCP/IP error 800ccc0f with Avast NNTP in Outlook Express  (Read 6811 times)

JohnnyBob

TCP/IP error 800ccc0f with Avast NNTP in Outlook Express
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »
When I post a message to a newsgroup then click "Refresh" in my Outlook Express (Windows XP Home) the following error happens...

The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server.
Configuration:
   Account: 1-news.west.earthlink.net
   Server: news.west.earthlink.net   {logon required}
   User name: mungedaddress@earthlink.net
   Protocol: NNTP
   Port: 119
   Secure(SSL): 0
   Code: 800ccc0f

If I click "Refresh" again, it works OK. So it only happens the first time "Refresh" is clicked in Outlook Express, immediately after posting a newsgroup message. So I guess it's not too serious, except I'm a very active NNTP user - thus, it is a frequent minor annoyance.

It started happening sometime after NNTP scanning was incorporated into the new version of Avast software. Changing the setting for Internet Mail scanning from customized to normal doesn't help. However if I turn off Internet Mail scanning in Avast, the problem disappears. This seems to confirm it is a problem with Avast. {However strangely, if I then restart the Internet Mail process, the problem doesn't return during the same session (which I can't explain).}

Googling for "800ccc0f error code" turns up a lot of links indicating that this is a fairly common problem with Outlook Express mail, but I didn't notice a reference to NNTP offhand. Also searching the Avast database, I didn't notice a prior mention of this error related to NNTP. Here's one of the google links:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/errorcode.htm
Error 800CCC0F when sending or receiving email. Usually caused by Antivirus software scanning email, but antispam scanners may cause Outlook to return this error as well. Disable the email scanning or increase the timeout setting.
Also, make sure your firewall is allowing the scanner software to connect to the Internet.

{I have the latest free ZoneAlarm firewall, could that be involved too?}

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: TCP/IP error 800ccc0f with Avast NNTP in Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »
Please send me by mail the log file as described here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8057.msg65627#msg65627
Thank you.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 04:40:31 PM »
Done - email sent with log file attached.

However I am now unable to reproduce the 800CCC0F error. It always happened before, for several weeks. Now strangely it has stopped.

I'm puzzled - unless it was an error caused by the earthlink news server that they've fixed.

JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »
Hello,
I have tried repeatedly. When I entered Log=20 into the avast.ini file, the TCP/IP error stopped happening. But now I've captured it and the log file is attached to an email and sent to you! I hope you can fix this because it is annoying.
JohnnyBob